Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Road bike for a total novice. What should I be looking at? (3-400 quid 2nd hand)
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I know nothing about road bikes. Now my back is knackered I am considering getting one for fitness training, as I can no longer ride hardtails off-road.

I’d be looking at spending 3-400 quid on something, but have no clue what I can get, or should be looking at for that sort money.

Any advice on buying a road bike for a total novice?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I picked up a C2W bargain that had done about 100 miles in 18 months…. worth looking for.

Something that fits is top of the list especially if you already have back issues. Some advice from someone on fit is really useful and throwing a leg over some mates bikes to get an idea will help.

TiRed

Used Giant Defy sized to suit. Slightly longer head tube means you can be more upright, but the handling is still proper road bike.

Alloy frame and Tiagra or 105 groupset are in your budget.

spud-face

I’m in similar position (not really, I just want a new shiny thing and know dick-all about road bikes), and have been looking around a lot lately. Remembering that I know the aforementioned dick-all about roadbikes, Merlin seem to have several decent ones in that price range (Be-one, Felt, own-brand) thanks to their sales that tempt me just for the fact that the ebay staples of spesh allez etc don’t seem to go for much less 2nd hand.

I recall seeing something on here recently about the difference between road bikes built to a Race geometry and those designed with the more casual rider in mind. Not sure whether there’s any hard and fast way to tell them apart at a glance, but seems a variable worth bearing in mind especial with a gammy back in the mix.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A quick look on ebay for that budget shows a few Specalized Allez, Giant Defy and Boardman models. They’d all be a decent start. Alloy frame, Tiagra, Sora mostly, maybe a few with 105 bits. Fit will be the biggest thing so buying form ebay might not be a go-er.

I recall seeing something on here recently about the difference between road bikes built to a Race geometry and those designed with the more casual rider in mind.

Headtube size is the biggest give away I think. Smaller headtube = racier position. Larger headtube = more relaxed.

kudos100
    Free Member

What’s the crack with sizing? I thought road bikes were measured in cm. I’m seeing Large and Xtra large on ebay.

I’m 6’3 with a 35 inch inside leg. I’m guessing a 58 or 60cm.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

size is just a letter attached to it, for the big guys they normally leave the old geo charts online so you can check. It’s a lot easier to do road sizes by height/leg but you still need to get the reach right.

granny_ring

Watching this thread with interest as I know FA about road bikes.
    My last 10 speed racer was a knackered wreck over 20 years ago.
    Have the brakes got any better?
    They would never stay centered and would ALWAYS rub on one side of the rim….

antigee

if not already looked the reviews section over on road.cc has a couple of useful reads a general one on buying a first road bike and then top 10 under a 1000
    http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/121928-10-best-road-bikes-under-%C2%A31000 which might help figure if looking 2nd hand also think there is a £500-£800 or similar and there is always decathlon though the purists will hate the triple http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-id_8306944.html#avantages

with a bad back I’d be considering the more sportive / all day / relaxed geometry

edit here is their under £500 guide
    http://road.cc/content/news/72001-best-entry-level-road-bikes-under-%C2%A3500

rp16v
    Free Member

Defy is a safe bet for comfort mine is arriving mid Jan
    If u can find them there will be some good 2014 deals kicking about
    Giant have just given the OK to 40% all there 2014 bikes so something tiagra/old 105 will be a good starter point look for the aluxx SL frame over normal aluxx and a carbon fork up front will help with the comfort aspect

lunge

It’s not 2nd hand but for £500 (£400 with a discount code ukstaffcla20) this is bloody brilliant value:
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXRT58ALU/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-shimano-tiagra-road-bike

medoramas
    Free Member

If you are novice to road bikes you should definitely not look at your front tyre while riding. NEVER :mrgreen:

will
    Free Member

That Planet X Lunge posted is cracking value and great kit.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The problem I found with eBay, especially at entry level road bikes, is there are a lot of dreamers with immense starting or BIN prices, which is kind of enderstandable when you watch stuff get bid up to “HOW MUCH!”?? levels. Especially when you have deals like the Planet-X bike above.

It took me a long time to find a 2nd hand bike for what I thought was a decent price (Cannondale Synapse of 2009ish vintage in the end).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I paid £300 for my CAAD4 off ebay wayy back in 2005. Bid £290 and it went for £300 but the seller wasn’t far away so I sent an e-mail saying if the buyer pulled out I’d match his price. Guess either he pulled out or the seller saw me as the easier option with no fee’s and it was mine a few hours after the auction ended 🙂

Since then the only original bits are now the frame and fork! DA groupset, SLK chainset, P-X forged brakes, WCS finishing kit, Stans wheels, not far off the UCI weight limit. Not bad for an entry level bike, it’s addictive!

ahwiles
    Free Member

kudos100 – Member

there are a few ‘i want a road bike because i’ve got a bad back’ type comments; if you can get comfy, you can ‘hide’ a bad back on a road bike, but it doesn’t fix the problem – how about a bit of yoga/pilates?

My last 10 speed racer was a knackered wreck over 20 years ago.
    Have the brakes got any better?

with good pads (ie, not the stock* ones), in the dry, rim brakes are extremely effective.

(*go for a few hilly rides with the standard pads, then treat yourself to some swisstop/clarks/kool stop pads, it’s the single most noticeable upgrade you can make – every other upgrade will cost MUCH more, and be MUCH less noticeable)

lunge

I’d agree with ahwiles, 60cm. I have the same length of leg and an extra inch in height and ride a 60cm. If theory a bigger frame will have a longer headtube which will give you a slightly more upright position.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s hard to beat that PX suggested by Lunge for £400 unless you’re lucky on eBay (and really know what to look for).

Comes in an XL too.

Note what ahwiles says abotu brake pad upgrading too! Wise words.

scandal42
    Free Member

Rt-58 reduced to £499, use the 20% off code and Wam, Tiagra build for peanuts.

kudos100
    Free Member

The problem I found with eBay, especially at entry level road bikes, is there are a lot of dreamers with immense starting or BIN prices, which is kind of enderstandable when you watch stuff get bid up to “HOW MUCH!”?? levels. Especially when you have deals like the Planet-X bike above.

Yes this is what I have found. Lots of people trying to sell bikes for only slightly less than what they cost new.

I’m only looking at 2nd hand, as if I don’t enjoy it, I can sell it on and not lose any money.

richardthird

Alloy frame, carbon fork and, most importantly, FULL proper mudguards.

Defy. With the full proper Giant mudguards.

MoreCashThanDash

I own a Defy with Mudguards. Great bike.

If you are around 5’9 and near the East Midlands, the Roubaix it replaced is available. See my ad on the FS forum.

kudos100
    Free Member

Anything else apart from the Defy that is a good allrounder and comfy to ride?

Specialized Secteur?

lunge

Anything else apart from the Defy that is a good allrounder and comfy to ride?

Yes, lots. Assuming you want a more relaxed riding position (not inherently more comfortable but we’ll ignore that for the moment) look at the endurance or sportive range from most manufacturers.

As a start point:
    Giant Defy
    Specialized Roubaix (carbon) or Secteur (alu)
    Trek Domain
    Cannondale Synapse
    BMC Grandfondo
    Bianchi Infinito

LenHankie

I got a year old Cannondale Synapse with 105 for £600. Love it.

chakaping
    Free Member

See what’s sold for £300 or £400 on eBay and compare specs to that PX.

Might still be the better buy TBH as it won’t be available at that price for long – and you’ll have the benefit of all new components.

chakaping
    Free Member

Another thing before I stop skiving and do some work, you mention back pain in the OP.

Road biking tends to make mine stiffen up and I have to be strict with my stretches to avoid pain returning. It’s the lack of variation in the riding position compared to MTB I think.

Just thought I’d mention it.

mogrim

My Decathlon Triban’s been great VFM, done long (>200km) Pyrenean rides on it with no problem.

kudos100
    Free Member

Road biking tends to make mine stiffen up and I have to be strict with my stretches to avoid pain returning. It’s the lack of variation in the riding position compared to MTB I think.

I have a large disc herniation and two degenerated discs in my lumbar spine.

Riding and jumping a hardtail aggravates this more than anything. Riding on the road isn’t too bad.

lunge

See what’s sold for £300 or £400 on eBay and compare specs to that PX.

Chakaping speaks the truth there. For £400 2nd hand you’ll get used Tiagra and maybe 105. You may get a carbon frame if you’re lucky. So basically, you’ll get bloody close to that spec on the PX bike but it’s new and has some warranty support.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

with good pads (ie, not the stock* ones), in the dry, rim brakes are extremely effective.

(*go for a few hilly rides with the standard pads, then treat yourself to some swisstop/clarks/kool stop pad

Probably true at the £400 price point, but the Clarks pads I stuck in my Campag brakes were awful, much, much worse than the original pads.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Cannondale CaaD8
    Specialized Allez
    Giant Defy

Any of the above with a mix of 105/Tigra should be well within your budget. Choose the one you like the look of best as there’s bugger all in it performance wise.

As an example I got an absolutely mint year old Caad8 with 105 for £375 a couple of months ago for a mate..

Obviously older bike = Better spec. You could get a 5 year old something lovely for £400 if you know what you’re doing and are happy with spanners..

woodster

If you aren’t too big, you could get a nice new bike with no worn out parts, a good spec and a warranty
    Planet X RT58

Use code UKSTAFFSTW20 to get it for down to 400

joolsburger
    Free Member

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/2013-trek-1.2-alpha-road-bike-like-new-xl-60cm/1091549431

There are loads about that was the first thing that came up.

Also put away a few quid for tyres with some kind of protection if the bike doesn’t have them already, specialized ones are cheap and decent. Road punctures are a massive pain in the assholes.

spud-face

Thanks for the PSA Lunge, that’s the xmas fund spent on myself again. To think until recently I was content with one bike! {starts designing fortified bike corral}

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Can someone please buy my CAAD 8. It’s just gathering dust in the spare room, so needs to go

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-cannondale-caad-8-size-56cm-full-bike-650-651

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Road bike for a total novice. What should I be looking at? (3-400 quid 2nd hand)’ is closed to new replies.