Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road bike for 6ft5" rider? What size?
  • mrh86

Looking to get a road bike in the next few months. All the advice about what size frame I would need is a bit conflicting. I would have thought a 62 or 64cm? Have an inside leg of 35″.

There aren’t that many 64cm frames out there – which may be a bit of a problem if that’s what size I need.

So….
    Has anyone else been in the same situation? What bike did you end up getting?
    What size would people recommend?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’re in the ballpark, just don’t buy without trying, it’s a personal thing.

mrh86

Cheers for the reply.

Haven’t tried yet, but if its anything like buying a mountain bike then finding a demo bike for a large bike that you want is quite tough. Also have the problem with this that not many manufacturers make bikes that big.

Am definitely going to try and see if I can get a few test rides though.

TooTall
    Free Member

You are about at the top end for bikes. German and Dutch brands are often good for the taller chap. Where are you based? try and find local tall riders and try their bike for size. Or look in E Bay for older bikes there. They used to make far more big bikes than they do now and that might be a good bet for you.

LS
    Free Member

At 6’5″ with 35″ inside leg you sound like you don’t have particularly long body/short legs or vice versa. I’m 6’3″ with 37″ leg and have road bikes between 59 and 64cm, as it’s the top tube length you need to get right rather than the frame height. You’ll have a fair bit of seatpost sticking out no matter what.

As said above, the Euro brands cater for taller riders. Alan, Canyon and Ridley spring straight to mind.

Oggles
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ 36″ inseam and ride a 60cm. I couldn’t go smaller because my knees hit the bars when I was climbing out of the saddle. I thought I was gonna be looking at 62/64 until I test rode. Top tube is important as LS said, and this varies between brands. I certainly wouldn’t want to go larger on my Trek because it already looks like a gate!

Like cynic-al said it’s personal so see what you think when you’ve ridden a few sizes – try and get a good ride on each. Not sure what brands you’re looking at or where, but see what a knowledgable (ie not mountain biking saturday boy) staff member thinks, if they only have one size in to try don’t let them fob you off by saying it looks about right.

Megatron

Just a little shorter at 6ft4, and had a 62cm( ? – it was more than 60cm I remember that much) Langster a few years ago. Liked it, but didn’t like the inability to go off road.
    Just remember for a road bike your looking more for top tube length.

gordon
    Free Member

Im the same as yourself, 6’5″ with 35″ inside leg and I have a Specialized Allez XXL which is 61cm and a top tube of 60cm. Fits well but as you say, it’s hard to find bikes of that size to try.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Giant (seriously no pun intended) make frames that’ll fit you. i got an inside leg of 35″ and ride a Large and its plenty big enough. The XL has a toptube of about 58.5 which should be big enough for you.
    Worth trying one for size though. buying blind can be a costly mistake

johnners
    Free Member

Worst case, if you can’t get a convenient bike shop to get your size in to try you could buy one online. Distance selling regs could be your friend here!

clunker

I ended up buying a second hand Brian Rourke that had been made for someone the same lanky size as me.

Doug
    Free Member

+1 for Giant XL/58.5cm. I’m 6ft4 with pretty standard proportions and had to put a slightly shorter stem on mine as it was a touch long.

Wookster

Look at a bike fit it’s so i portage on abroad bike as you don’t move about as much as an MTB. Where do you live? If down south Rock and road are really good.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road bike for 6ft5" rider? What size?’ is closed to new replies.