Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Road bike fit/sizing help
  • letmetalktomark

So after much musing I’m going with a road bike build for 2016 🙂

I’ve seen a frame that ticks all the right (to me) boxes but I’m struggling a little regarding the size. Sadly a test fit isn’t an option.

I’m 6’2″ ish with a longer body than leg.

I tend to ride anything from a 19″ to 21″ 29er wise.

Having a look at the frames geometry chart a 60cm seems right but I have my MTB head on and appreciate road bike fit is quite different to MTB fit.

Any suggestions?

Magic formula?

Good guides?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Got a link to the geometry chart?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I’m same height as you and too am longer in the body. Currently riding a 58cm CAAD10 and a Large Canyon Aeroad that bike fits have confirmed were correct. Other bikes that have been spot on were a large Giant TCR and 60cm Genesis Equilibrium..

Jamz
    Free Member

If you’ve not ridden road bikes before then really there is no magic way to fit one without riding it. There’s too much variation in frame geometries/ body shape and not only that but the sort of position you are capable/comfortable of adopting. It’s really quite a bit more specific than fitting a mountain bike and if the road bike does not fit properly then you’re potentially going to make it hell for yourself.

If I were you, I’d speak to a bike fitter and mention the bike you’re interested in and get book in for them to evaluate you. They’ll be able to measure you up and give you an idea of whether or not the bike will fit and what size to get.

Just by way of an example, I own a 56cm and a 54cm road bike (at 5’11”) but 54 does have a fairly long head tube and it puts me in an aggressive position that has taken a fair while to get comfortable in. A lot of 54cm frames would be out of the question for me because I’m quite leggy and the head tubes on them are just too short.

onandon
    Free Member

^ agree. Not all 54s are 54s etc Measure your leg length and decide from the geometry if it’s correct. If it’s your first bike I’d really suggest a test ride or bike fit so they can suggest what would work.

TiRed

I’d expect you to fit a 58 Cannondale, a M/L or Large Giant.

Some frames can seem big for size, because a half a degree here and there is a centimetre difference.

I have a 56, a 54, medium and small frames. Once you know your four key position dimensions you can set a lot of bikes up to fit. If one is at the absolute extreme, say 6’6″, there is a lot less flexibility, but you are not there.

Those four positions are;
    1) saddle height to bb
    2) saddle set back from bb
    3) saddle nose bar reach to stem clamp
    4) bar drop from saddle.

Once you have these measures dialled in, then differences in handling can be judged based on weight distribution, wheelbase, tubing diameter.

My figures (5’10.5″ and bog standard proportions) are 74-5-55-8 cm. Know them like your shoe size 😉

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys. Plenty to muse over.

Frame is a CAAD10 which I understand, from a single review(?), is shorter in the TT than others making me think 60cm over 58cm.

BDBs – got a pic of yours set up for you?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

58cm I’d say. I have a 58cm CAAD and I’m 6’3″ – fits well

letmetalktomark

David, do you have a pic to help gauge saddle bar drop?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not a good side on one sorry. It’s a CAAD 8 though, so the headtube is longer anyway. Although I have long legs so my seat height is pretty high…think saddle to bar drop is about 16cm with a -10 degree stem.

letmetalktomark

No worries, do you run a 130mm stem?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A 140mm stem, but like I said, I have long limbs. The front wheel can often feel too far away if I use a long frame and a short stem.

It sounds like you’d be fine on a 60cm if you have a longer torso though. Might even be the better choice. The TT is only 15mm longer IIRC.

EDIT; infact, it really depends. My saddle height is 830mm BTW. Saddle bar reach is 625mm on it from what I remember

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Mine with saddle height 801mm, saddle setback 75mm, saddle to bars 580mm, drp 110mm.

letmetalktomark

Thanks guys.

BDBs – what length stem is that?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks like a 120mm

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Its a 110 -6 degree

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

New bike, similar size to a 58cm CAAD. Or at least the contact points are in the same place.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I dont think you would have fit issues with either size to be honest, only 4mm more reach and 14mm more stack on the bigger frame.

letmetalktomark

Ah, missed that bit from your post. 😳

Would you be okay on a 60cm with an inline post and 110mm stem?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You will probably want a layback post for a good racebike fit, especially with a long torso

letmetalktomark

BTW – David that’s a lovely looking build. What size do Condor class that as?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh it looks OK, maybe not as sexy as a caad though 😉

Size is custom, but it’s close to the 58cm

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Front stack is too high on the bigger frame for me, I would need to use a more aggressive stem but an inline post would work fine. How flexible are you? If you are inflexible, I would err towards the bigger frame.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’m 6′ 4″ and ride a 58cm road bike.

I got a Retul bike fit half price when buying it. I had no idea about road bike fit and sizing, having bought a cheapest road bike previously that was clearly too big.

The Retul fit was probably the best £125 that I’ve spent on bike stuff.

letmetalktomark

@ MH – do you have a pic of yours?

Having spent a good deal of this evening 😳 looking into sizing a number of guides suggest 60cm, some even 61cm.

I appreciate these are guides and come with caveats so pics are always helpful.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

THis might help. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109014&sid=12faac6e8832f0d535010b20a5209372&start=180

I’m gonna go back and say a 58cm. The bike in the link above does not look as well setup or proportioned as bigdugs up there

rOcKeTdOg

6ft 2 here
    M/L giant
    58 cotic X
    56 cannondale
    58 trek Domane
    59 Lemond Zurich

confusing isn’t it

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Found an old pic of mine. The saddle height is a bit lower than it should be though.

dpfr

6’2″ here with relatively long torso and short legs, riding a 58 cm Scott Solace and a 59 cm Enigma. I was measured up properly for the Enigma. 60 cm or above sounds scarily big to me.

TiRed

Frame is a CAAD10

Cannondales feel like gates to me. I ride a 54 CAAD8. You will want a 58. Stem size will adjust to your comfort/flexibility – we aren’t all like DT 😉

If in doubt, smaller frame and longer stem feels better than larger frame and shorter stem because there is more weight placed over the front wheel.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😆 yeh, as above, 58cm for sure.

If you find the stack too low, I’ve got a 25mm conical headset top cap thing that came with my Condor I can send you to get the bars up to a decent height without having to use a big stack of spacers.

acsevens

6’4″ here and ride a 60cm CAAD10 – it feels spot on for me, so 58cm as suggested sounds about right.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cannondales do come up big, I’m 5’11” and thought a 56 would be bang on, but a 54 is way better.

I happen to ride a 55cm KTM Revelator though with a 110mm stem and a layback post.

My mate who is 6’2″ rides a 58cm Cannondale Synapse with a layback post and whatever stem it came with.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Road bike fit/sizing help’ is closed to new replies.