Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • road bike disaster
  • benjii19
    Free Member

Help!!

I’ve had a road bike given to me and its never been quite right…but never had chance to properly look at it.

Gears never worked properly……..

10 speed Campag Triple up front…….with a 9 speed campag rear derailleur and an 8 speed cassette. I’m assuming the shifters are 9 speed and the front mech.

Lovely start!! dont ask what speed the chain is, i daren’t look.

scaredypants

might be worth reading this before you throw it all away – just might make sense

benjii19
    Free Member

Err..nice article although i’ll have to put m thinking head on to understand all that!

benjii19
    Free Member

OK

Campag Mirage 9 speed rear mech.

Campag Centaur 10 speed Front Triple

Campag Mirage Front mech…no speed indicated

Campag Veloce on the brake lever so i imagine the shifter is the same??

scaredypants

so you need to count the clicks on the RH shifter – hopefully that’ll tell you what it should be

The triple chainset will be fine with 9 or 10sp chain (not sure about 8sp)

taht article is about mixing campag / shimano parts to get them to work smoothly. If you’re all campag (inc cassette) then it’s irrelevant anyway

alanl
    Free Member

The front mech isnt a problem, that should work.

The rear cassette – really 8 speed?
    If so, you may be better just selling it on (to me!) and buying a 9 speed wheel – they are dfifferent, and last time I looked, could not be interchanged like 8/9 shimano.

Or, it may be possible to buy an index piece for the shofters, but that’ll be £30ish, so more cost effectigve to buy a 9sp wheel and cassette.
    I’m still on 8 sp campy on my cross bike so always interested in any 8 speed parts.
    Alan.

benjii19
    Free Member

Voila the Freehub , so this wont take a 9speed campag cassete??

[/url]Untitled by ben_eddie, on Flickr[/img]

benjii19
    Free Member

Rear Mech

Front Rings

Shifter
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oQa8vr]Untitled[/url] by ben_eddie, on Flickr

Basically it has worked just badly in the past. so I figured a new 9 speed cassette would help

garage-dweller

Hard to tell much from that shot as cannot see all the splines. a quick search suggests that 8 is not compatible with 9 die to a change in the free hub body.

Campag 9/10 speeds are definitely on the same free hub. 11 is same + a spacer iirc.

I have a spare relatively cheap and little used campag 9spd rear wheel, no cassette, cluttering the place up if that were of interest/ needed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thas a shimano free hub isnt it ?
    50 p on he has campag 9 speed shifters and mech driving a shimano 8 speed casette as that damn near works with an extra click. Works even better if you alter the clamp angle slightly.

benjii19
    Free Member

the cassette is definitely campag. I’m annoyed as just bought some Pikes for the fun bike. Now i’ve got this to sort out.. I wish id never brought it home from the father in laws.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My bad was looking on the phone.

Looked on the big screen its 8spd campag , yep only 8speed campag will fit that.

9 speed campags a different fit

New wheel time im afraid

benjii19
    Free Member

cassette

Just found this link..looks like the Exa-Drive 8 speed Campagnolo freehub. Bugger

garage dweller, how much for the wheel??

garage-dweller

Postage + something for a pint would probably do the trick. Let me check weight and postage costs later this evening. Will pop my email into my profile later too when I am not on the phone.

cookeaa

According to this

Campag 8 speed stacks up to 36.9mm while Campag 9 speed stacks up to 38.2mm, so 1.3mm difference for the cassettes, and 0.45mm smaller pitch…

On top of that Campag 9 speed has two possible cable pull ratios, depending on when it was made apparently, so are you sure the mech is speaking the same dialect as the shifter?

benjii19
    Free Member

On top of that Campag 9 speed has two possible cable pull ratios, depending on when it was made apparently, so are you sure the mech is speaking the same dialect as the shifter?

No idea! This really is complicated.

wilburt
    Free Member

Ill have it.

boxelder

It’ll still be pink.

benjii19
    Free Member

Pink is the least of its worries….the fact its a mismatch of campag components isn’t helping.

Next question do i need a campag specific chain?

garage-dweller

Email sorted but late home from work so not looked at postage yet. If you want it ping me an email and will get back to you tomorrow some time. Best guess is probably looking about 20-25 posted.

benjii19
    Free Member

Cheers, email sent.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘road bike disaster’ is closed to new replies.