Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Road bike creak?
  • Kryton57

It sounds like its coming from the BB, and goes away a bit after 30 mins riding. It’s most likely exaggerated by the frame being carbon and sounds like a bag of spanners for those first 30 mins.

However the BB “feels” as smooth as silk. Wheels are fine, cassette is on tight and the whole bike is 6 months old/done 3000k approx. Only makes a noise when under normal load and the wheels are actually turning.

It’s an OEM FSA Gossemer BB30 fwiw…

Any ideas?

mikey74
    Free Member

Loose chain ring bolts?

Pedal threads need greasing?

Kryton57

Ill try those.

Anything else to suggest?

2POC

The infamous BB30…

Google, “BB30 creaking”

boxxer7
    Free Member

My gear cables creek in the Ferrell holders, try that maybe?

tinribz
    Free Member

+1 new pedals.

martymac

my mates bb30 equipped cannondale had a creak, it was the bottom bracket.
    not loose really, but not as tight as was needed.
    a good heave on the appropriate spanner fixed it.
    did it from new, in his case.

Kryton57

Right, I googled BB30.

It’s had a new chain recently so ill start with cleaning and regreasing everything including a chain lube, checking the cables etc and go from there. Pedals are of a previous bike do they do have 7000k / 18 months on them, plus my cleats are wearing low.

Cheers.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

The LBS remove the crankset and apply plenty of quality grease to all BB30’s as a matter of rote – bain of their life, apparently…….”…there’s this funny creaking noise but you can only hear it when riding, not spinning the wheels/cranks…..”

Kryton57

That ^^ is exactly it. Nothing on a Workstand/leaning on the pedals with the bike immobile yet…

bob_summers

Last creak I’ve had of that description (though mainly out of the saddle) was cured by cleaning &regreasing the free hub.
    Happened on my road bike (tune hub) and MTB (pro 2). might be worth a shot if the bb grease doesnt help.

trambler

Had a creak on my road bike, drove me nuts for ages. Eventually tracked it down to the headset, removed, greased and re-fitted, sorted. Just a thought if the BB isn’t the issue.

munkster
    Free Member

My road bike creak was a BB cup having worked a bit loose, needed a slight tighten up and creak was gone…

oldgit
    Free Member

Have you fitted the washers between the crank arms and pedals.

boblo
    Free Member

@boxxer7. What’s a ‘Ferrell Holder’?

Kryton57

It’s never been in bits oldgit, its as it was out of the box.

smogmonster

Could be the same as mine – the bolt on the crank non drive side had worked its way slightly loose – still tight enough to hold the arm in place without any wobble, but not quite tight enough. A simple tighten up with the allen key and hey presto, squuek gone. It drove me crazy for a fortnight.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I had an annoying creak that sounded like it was coming from the BB. Turned out it was the dry wheel skewers. A drop of oil on them cured it. Worth a go?

atlaz
    Free Member

My BB30 (also FSA) went back twice to be regreased by the LBS and finally it’s been okay. My latest squeaking noise is my shoes against my overshoes though. Took me several rides and a fair bit of time on the workstand to realise though.

Kryton57

*orders massive bucket of grease*

damitamit
    Free Member

Rear skewer dry?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Road bike creak?’ is closed to new replies.