Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road bike choice
  • mtb1992
    Free Member

Hi everyone
    Been riding mountain bikes for years and recently had a idea I wanted to do more road riding so I bought my self some road tyres for my mob and so far I’ve bloody enjoyed it. I’m wanting to buy a second hand road bike what are good makes etc
    I’ll probably have 250 to spend maybe 300 at a push.
    Any advice be great
    Thanks
    Tom

mtb1992
    Free Member

For my mob sorry mtb even

rOcKeTdOg

U can get a brand new 2015 giant defy for less than £350 which is a great starter bike

edhornby

Triban 500, as good as you can get in the sub 300 bracket

atlaz
    Free Member

Keep an eye on the classifieds, ebay etc. I got my first road bike (admittedly 6 years back) for 250 quid complete on here.

ampthill

I’m wanting to buy a second hand road bike what are good makes etc

I don’t think any big brand makes duff road bikes

So it’s about looking at spec’, age and condition. Fit matters but that is always a weakness in the used market as you can ‘t try. Budget for a stem etc.

I some times do a lot of ebay lurking for this sort of thing. Often people will buy a bike for an event like London to Brighton and then sell it on lightly used. The big brands like Spec’ and Trek seem to be good buys in this bracket. The bikes that were cheaper when new say Planet X never seem quite as good value used

Do like look Paul’s cyles etc. as last years bikes new often seem great value compared to used bikes

mtb1992
    Free Member

Interested in a giant defy I’m gonna look see what I can get..and I will check out secondhand market too

Sizing seems to be a tricky thing what is the general rule of thumb for sizing? Is there some measurements I need to do? I don’t wanna buy one and find its to big or to small I’ve been told is critical.
    Tom

SaxonRider

Everything I’ve heard about the B’Twin Triban in that price range is excellent. But might I also suggest getting an older ‘higher end’ bike?

Last spring, I bought a 2005 Trek 1200 for £200, and it has served me brilliantly. I eventually put new wheels on it, but otherwise hardly spent any other money upgrading, and will continue to use it as a winter bike now that I have ‘moved on’.

If I was you, I would be looking both at the B’Twin and keeping my eye on ebay for something even higher spec, but older. I have personally had a lot of good luck with Trek bikes, but just find something you like the look of with at least Shimano 105 on it, and you’ll be fine.

wilburt
    Free Member

Get yourself a Defy or Caad 8 and ride, roads about legs and lungs not bits and bobs. 🙂

allfankledup

Got a 2012 caad8 with tiagra for under 300 recently. Comfier than I expected

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road bike choice’ is closed to new replies.