Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road bike – changing tyre question
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thought I’d volunteer to help a friend change her tyres on her road bike… **** what a pain in the arse, I ended pinching both the tubes as I couldn’t roll the last bit of the feckers over and had to use the levers…

Is it really that difficult or am I missing a trick?

Think I’ll stick to mountain bikes….

TiRed

Taking tyres off can be difficult, and I normally require at least one lever. On is just technique. Add a little air to the tube before inserting under the single side mounted tyre. Roll the tyre into the centre of the rim at the opposite side to the valve, then work your way around both sides symmetrically, I’ve never had problems getting tyres ON. Some rim/tyre combinations can be harder than others.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just depends what rims and tyres. Exactly the same with mtb.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thanks TiRed was just watching a YT on your method… worked like a peach… will have to try it out, can’t let the bugger beat me

Dacvid… thanks, no experience with road bikes so difficult to tell i had some difficulty as the tyre was one of the flat fold it ones…

now I know why they say don’t use levers to put the tyre on!

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, depends on the tyre and rim, some combinations are very tight. Plus some puncture proof tyres can be rather stiff (eg Marathon Plus).

One of these tools is useful for fitting tight tyres – Simson Tyre Mate: http://www.dotbike.com/p/3845
    Because it lifts the tyre onto the rim, it avoid pinching the tube.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I hate it. Use levers, start at the valve and push the bead toward the centre of the rim for extra slack. Don’t show any frustration, tyres appear able to detect it and behave worse. A little air in the tube helps resist the pinch and check by squidging the bead and looking all the way round before inflating.

Edit: distracted by water bears, too slow.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Craig interesting tool, assume you have one of these?

Herman – thanks bud, yes I agree with the ‘ tyres appear able to detect it and behave worse’ (I think that applies to generally all DIY jobs in my case!)

Cheers… just dashed out got some new tubes for the lady and shall try my hand if she let’s me!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road bike – changing tyre question’ is closed to new replies.