Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Road bike catastrophy! what to do next?
  • cookeaa

My road bike commuter ate it’s rear mech on the way home tonight, lots of swearing and a roadside ghetto SS fix to get me to the nearest train station…

Looks like it’s going to be at least ~£100 bill to sort it all out again, and there were a fair few other things I wanted to do to the bike already, so I could easily spend a few hundred quid and still only have a rather “average” bike still…

Or do I just chop the bugger in and buy something new?

Looking at maybe £600 to spend maybe go for a frame/wheels and a few new drive train bits, or just see what I can get off the peg, possibly something from Ribble…

Thoughts…

oldnpastit

Convert it to single speed? It’s just a commuter so it’s not like you will be losing races and stuff.

Could be annoying if you live somewhere with big steep hills and long flat bits, but otherwise should be OK.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I think you can get a decent enough new road bike for 600 pounds.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Wookster

Buy new under the cover of ” needing” one 😈

Kevevs
    Free Member

buy 2nd hand. from here. I got some newish fulcrum 5’s for 80 quid. 2006 specialized allez comp f&f & h/s 100 quid. ultegra drivetrain and mechs, etc. all the stuff I bought from classifieds has been shiny top notch and got me running a real quality roadbike for less than 600. salvaging the bits you have and using classifieds, you’re on a winner, just might take some time.

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve a Scott cr1 pro I’m selling that might suit

aracer
    Free Member

Looks like it’s going to be at least ~£100 bill to sort it all out again

For what?

Xylene
    Free Member

It has just cose me about that for a mech eating incident on my Wanga

– 22 quid rear dropouts
    – 20 quid new cassette and chain
    – 20 quid new rear mech and new 9 speed shifter
    not related but done because it had to be – 12 quid caliper.

Expensive ride to work.

Amos
    Free Member

I’ve a 53cm bianchi nirone for sale cheap if you’re interested?
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/for-sale-53cm-bianchi-nirone

Email me if any good

donsimon
    Free Member

Decathlon.

cookeaa

aracer – mech, chain, cassette, hanger, tyre has a flat spot where it locked up wheel is very out of true but may be salvagable. it all soon tots up….

I did consider SSing it but the remainder of my journey persuaded me its not a goer its a 20 mile commute with hills and variable headwinds, gears make sense in this instance I’m affraid.

I do have a fair bit of salvageable kit still on the bike STIs, fork, bars, seat, cranks, brakes etc… thats why I’m considering the frame and some new parts rebuild option…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Road bike catastrophy! what to do next?’ is closed to new replies.