Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Road Bike Buying Advice – Genesis / Trek / Giant
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hi,

Looking to buy a roadbike to do LEJOG on and to start doing some Tri’s on…

Currently on the list… Genesis Equilibrium, Trek 1.5 and Giant Defy…

Anyone got any experience of these, or suggestions?

Ta.

aP
    Free Member

Most bikes at that price are almost indistinguishable from each other. Go with the one that you like the colour of, that matches the projection of your own status or has the best dealer support.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Steel v’s Alu etc?

Does it make sense to stick at the low end price point as if I get serious about racing I’ll need something super expensive?

Will a race level bike be a bugger for touring?

bullheart
    Free Member

We used Defy’s for the Bullheart JOGLE.

Absolutely ace bikes. Lowest spec bike has the same frame as the top spec model, so upgrade bits if you want a race bike. Aluxx frame is fine for long days in the saddle.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cheers Bullheart!!

That’s pretty much all the endorsement I need!

Now to sort out trains, B&B’s and sponsorship 😉

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I had a trek 1.5 as my winter bike, and my nice bike is a trek 5000. I’m sure the 1.5 is a nice bike, but compared to my 5000, it felt cheap 🙁 I ended up selling it after a few months, mainly because i felt it didn’t fit properly for some reason despite it being the same size as my 5000.

I know most people say don’t spend much on a roadie until you know if you are going to like it – i bought what i liked the look of, and what fitted me and probably spent double my original budget. Was worth it though as i love the bike. Fit is far more important than anything.

Mister-P
    Free Member

For something like LEJOG I would have the Equilibrium. For Tri use I would have something else, probably a Cervelo.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks DirtyG. I’ve done the ‘buy cheap buy twice’ with mtb’s when I first started (technically I bought about 6, but who’s counting)

Don’t want to do the same now. I do need it to be versatile to start with though… something that could end up being my winter bike maybe if I really get into it.

lunge

Have a look at the Ribble bikes, they seem to me to be really good value for money.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve opted to ride my nice bike all year round, mainly because it fits so well. The kit on it has lasted well (ultegra) but after this winter, i needed to replace wheels, chainset, cassette and chain.

Maybe just buy what you like the look of and what fits well. If you like it, you’ll have a good bike, if not, you can sell it on. I didn’t ever think i’d love road riding as much as i do – in fact, i can clearly remember saying i’d never get a road bike. I’ve been road riding for almost 4 years now and love it so you may well surprise yourself with how much you get into it. And we can have a road group in our convent too 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DirtyG – I have a sense that I’ll love it.
    Uncomplicated, uninterrupted just getting the power down. The ability to cover many miles straight from the front door. Cotswolds is good for road but rubbish for MTB. A 20 mile commute to work on sunny summer mornings… I’m getting excited about it already 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

In that case, up your budget if you can and buy a bike you like/want. Btw, worth getting fitted for it too.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

evening crowd?

ahwiles
    Free Member

er, i’m strongly biased. i’ve just bought an equilibrium. i will admit that it’s mostly because i think it’s very pretty.

but it’ll take big tyres and mudguards, so it’s practical too.
    and pretty.

(i haven’t really ridden it yet, because i haven’t really picked it up yet…)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Cube Attempt.Boardman Team Alloy.Cannondale Caad8.

Conqueror
    Free Member

You know anywhere you can try the Cube Attempt?.. looks like quite a lot of spec for the money

peteimpreza

Have a look at the Cannondale range as well.

mboy
    Free Member

Recently had a similar quandary…

Ended up getting a Giant Defy 2 (though a 2010 model as they’re much better specced than the 2011).

Anyway… Don’t regret it at all. Was worried an alloy frame might be a bit harsh, but all the hype over how good the Defy is is justified. It really is very forgiving for an alloy frame! Maybe the carbon post it comes with helps though. Would have quite liked a Genesis equilibrium, but didn’t think a 300 quid excess for basically a steel frame, was all that worth it. And I’m very happy with my purchase!

Clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguards on the Defy still too, so it can be a light duty tourer if required. Its very practical, and it’s light too. In fact there’s not many bikes at the price lighter, except maybe a Boardman. Only things that count against it are I’ve heard Giant’s wheels can go out of true quickly (easily sorted at first service time), and the saddle is a bit of an axe… Easily fixed though!

Oh, and FWIW, Giant’s are probably about the best specced bikes for the money other than perhaps Boardman. By contrast, I thought the Trek’s I looked at were heavy, poorly specced, and basically rather dull. They are available in more sizes than the giant though. Cannondale can also be worth a look in if you find a 2010 model in your size, all the ones I could find anywhere were too big or too small for me though.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Defy owner here and I love mine its v comfy.
    The standard wheels are pooh and that is all I can truly criticise it for.
    I commute 32 miles a day and go out for 50+ milers on it.
    The saddle I find comfy the handlebars I did not but that’s due to
    My girly hands lol.
    I wouldn’t mind a plastic giant for a summer bike as I am that impressed
    With the defy.

cinnamon_girl

I had a Scott carbon road bike dangled in front of my eyes together with the offer of taking it for a spin. Compared to my Scott alloy, it was a revelation. Took it on a bit of a potholed road and couldn’t believe the difference.

Test rides is where it’s at. 🙂

wors

I’ve got a giant ocr, an older version of the defy and it’s very comfy indeed. That said that equilibrium looks very nice.

edhornby

have a look at canyon, very highly rated alu frames

bullheart
    Free Member

Give me a bell if you want out trip list of hostels and stuff…

mingsta
    Free Member

Hello! Came to this rather late. I think all of your choices are good to go as they all appear to take mudguards and panniers.

Here’s a few random thoughts about bikes and kit.

– IMO mudguards are a must.

– If you’re riding unsupported, then a triple is also a must, unless you’re travelling VERY light. Normal triple and 12-27 at the back should be fine.

– Panniers are great and the most stable way to carry kit. However, a big seat and bar bag is much more aerodynamic and you’ll notice the difference on descents and flats at speed.

– Try and get all of your mates to rock up with new tyres with good puncture protection (eg Conti Duraskins). They’ll always be one who goes for the race tyres hoping to get a lick of speed, and they’ll be the ones who you wait for as they puncture 6 times over the ride.

– Better to carry one decent mini track pump (e.g. Lezyne) in the group than 5 crappy mini pumps.

Here’s a book of my LEJOG – there’s plenty in there about routes and kit etc, and even more pics and inane banter!

http://www.blurb.com/books/1931111

I rocked a Lynksey Sportive on my LEJOG and it was the shizzle.

oldgit
    Free Member

Defy, just what the Giant company does best at that price.
    Wouldn’t bother with steel for a one off, though my audax is steel out of choice.
    Not sure how the LeJog works, but second a good pump, again the audax folk like the Morph range i.e if you get a puncture at the days start they’ll get you up to proper pressure in seconds.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses!

Test ridden a few bikes this weekend and have come down to…

The Genesis Equilibrium and the Genesis Aether. Rode both back to back this morning in the right size for me and I just don’t know, arrgh!

Anybody living with either of these? Steel v’s alu… I just don’t know!

Xylene
    Free Member

Same issues I’m having.

I don’t know what to get.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You tried them both?

I really wanted one to feel horrible. It didn’t. 🙁

oldgit
    Free Member

Well neither are race bikes, so I’d enjoy the slightly heavier qualities of steel.

That’s good English innit. The qualities of the heavier steel bike.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I came to the conclusion that for LEJOG and long days riding in the Cotswolds and a 20 mile comute they were preferable to an out and out race bike.

If I start racing I’ll just have to get another bike 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike Buying Advice – Genesis / Trek / Giant’ is closed to new replies.