Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road bike advice
  • failedengineer

As stated in the CX bike thread, I’m just about to build up a Croix de Fer frameset as my do-it-all road bike. Anyone got any sensible opinions on drop handlebars (compact or ergo), stems etc? I’ve been looking at Planet X stuff and it seems light for the price. A lot of the bars and stems appear to be the same with different branding. How light is light? I’m re-using the saddle, seatpost and (105)mech/shifters from my current road bike. I’ve ordered some Hope/Mavic Open Pro wheels and I’ve got a Sram Apex chainset, which seems quite good value.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I realy like Ritchey Evocurve bars, they just always feel right, every other bars I’ve had always seemed to have odd lumps that didnt fit my hands, bends that got in the way of the drops or flexed horribly (in the case of bontranger, all three).

BristolPablo
    Free Member

just be careful when comparing bars that the measurements are the same, some companies measure from the centre of the crops to the centre, others from the outside and some bars also turn out on the drops so they are wider at the bottom compared to the top and a centre to centre measurement will be at the widest point…

if you spend a lot of time on the drops, the Ritchey pro logic 2 bars are very comfy and have that kink which gets you in a really aggressive position, £42.36 from Ribble. They were on my Boardman and I liked them a lot. I have alu 3T ergonova bars now which are pricey (£63 from wiggle) but have a nice flat section at the top which is uber comfy for long distances/sportives etc.

failedengineer

Would a stem that was slightly angled upwards mean that I would bring shame on my family?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Would a stem that was slightly angled upwards mean that I would bring shame on my family?

For CX no, for a road bike yes. Although it begs the question how inflexible are you, road bike headtubes tend to be quite long anyway as standover isn’t usualy a consideration. If it’s comfortable do it but my usual rule of thumb is my elbows are bent when in the drops and my back in a fairly newutral position (i.e. an all day comofortable position, not forecing myself into an aero tuck).

failedengineer

I like these special roadie terms: newutral and comofortable,although the first one sounds slightly gynoco :wink:logical

njee20
    Free Member

every other bars I’ve had always seemed to have odd lumps that didnt fit my hands, bends that got in the way of the drops or flexed horribly (in the case of bontranger, all three).

Whilst I really like my Bontrager ones – like this:

Which I suspect are the exact ones you dislike!

So it goes to show – try a few!

globalti
    Free Member

Yes, I would definitely go for flat-top ergo bars; I am using my XC as a light tourer and long-distance cruiser, as you may well do.

Mine are Easton aero; I rang around some LBSs and Evans Cycles in Manchester sold me these for £100: http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/road/components/bars/race/ec90-aero

Be sure to get the right width – I’m broad-shouldered and I find a 44cm bar suits me best, I feel cramped with a 42 cm bar.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a similar issue with Bonty bars giving me pain in my palms. I now use 3T Ergonovas which are a compact drop which I like as I use the drops a lot and the compact makes it more practical. Stem must point down. No ifs, no buts. Especially if you only want to use it on the road (though why have you bought a cross bike if so?).

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got some like Globalti’s (but EC70 I think) in the garage if you’re interested in secondhand (but mint)?

Wasn’t keen on them for just road riding and bought something with a deeper drop. Bet they’d be good for a CX/all rounder though.

failedengineer

What’s the width/drop/reach and colour? How much?

chakaping
    Free Member

Same bar as this (you don’t see the white when it is taped up BTW)…
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/handlebars-h-bars-road-oversize-easton-ec70-aero-carbon-white-road-bars-318/easthbas255

Size = 42cm (other measurements on that link)

Pricewise I was thinking £65 posted. Where are you based?

failedengineer

Thanks anyway, but I don’t want white and £65 is more than I was looking to pay.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road bike advice’ is closed to new replies.