Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Road bar weights?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

What’s good for road bike handlebar weight?

Exotic have some carbon wrapped road bars at a claimed weight if 250gm. Is that good?

Or more importantly is it likely to be lighter than the stock alloy bars on my £700 road bike?

jameso

OE bars got a lot heavier post-CEN regs a few yrs ago, so >350g isn’t uncommon at entry level. 250g is pretty good.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks Jameso

Flip….that means the stock alloy ones will be heavy and I dread to think what the steel drops on the cheapo fixie will be….

I would weigh them to make sure it was a reasonable upgrade, but unravelling the bar tape is a faff, if I realise I can’t afford lighter ones.

I presume carbon road bars are manufactured with the same small-buzz absorbing properties as mtb bars?

campfreddie
    Free Member

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HBDEDNAD/deda_newton_anatomic_drop_handlebar

these are very light… 460 = 44cm centre to centre which is good if you are a tall chap.

RealMan
    Free Member

If you’ve got a £700 road bike, there’s probably a lot better things to spend the money on upgrades wise, IMO.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Upgrades like what?

Already done the wheels (and rear cassette), so what next??

I was looking for some vague comfort enhancement at the same time….?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Tyres an innertubes

mtbtomo
    Free Member

It has Conti tyres and conti innertubes.

I’ll be commuting on it, so I’m happy if the tyres and tubes aren’t amazing.

Next?

hmanchester
    Free Member

Conti make lots of tyres….. What do you have?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

CF bars on a commuter !? 😯

mtbtomo
    Free Member

They’re Continental Ultra Race. I have no idea if they’re any good but I’m happy to run them till they wear out, cos tyres are a fairly disposable upgrade.

Its not a commuter, its my main road bike, I will use it for commuting now and again, plus swapping the alloy bars from this one to the fixie, will rid me of the steel drops on that.

So as I see it, my main choices are the OEM bars, stem or seatpost or possibly the Sora cranks which probably weigh a ton.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

If it’s a commuter does it really need upgrading? Buy a nice bottle of single malt instead.

edit, fair enough, knock yourself out

MrSmith
    Free Member

Would rather have good alloy bars like deda newtons, pro PLT or fsa wing bars than carbon, carbon isnt always lighter and usually costs more.

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah carbon handlebars are really just bling. Better off upgrading chainset, tyres, brakes, or nothing, as it’s a commuter – unless you don’t already have mudguards/lights etc. Comfort wise you’re better off getting a slightly padded bar tape then carbon bars.

Ed2001
    Free Member

How about some aero bars or deep section carbon rims? Perhaps an elliptical chainset all invaluable additions to a commuter. 😕

crikey
    Free Member

Lightening up a £700 commuter bike? Many Lols.

moonwrasse
    Free Member

http://www.williamscycling.com/Elan-CCS_p_87.html

I have just put some of these on my bike. Very light, maybe bit flexy on the drops.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its not a commuter! 😕 I’ll use it for commuting now and again but I’ll also use it for everything else too.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Then get Zipp service course SLs, in STW tradition of recommending what you run..

hmanchester
    Free Member

You’ve got a decent bike so any upgrades are going to be either:

1) small upgrades for a very marginal,if any, gain, eg carbon bars.
    2) fancy upgrades which would be pricey, a bit out of place on the bike – what I mean is you’d be better off saving your pennies and just get a better overall bike.

I’d go for riding it a lot (which sounds like you do) and go for quality but value components as things wear out.

If you really want to spend your money maybe some fancy riding gear, eg gloves, helmet, shorts which you’ll keep between bikes. Or some tech like a hrm or gps, etc.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It has Conti tyres and conti innertubes.

I’ll be commuting on it, so I’m happy if the tyres and tubes aren’t amazing.

Next?

You sound like a bit of spanner

According to chainreaction, the 25c wire bead conti ultra races weigh 330g. If this is what you have, then you could save 100g per tyre and improve ride quality with some gp4000s tyres.

Some lighter innertubes could save you another 50g’s.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

But how puncture resistant will gp4000’s be? Surely less rubber = more punctures?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Hmmmm….even continue gatorskins will save some weight and are black Chilli…

mtbmatt
    Free Member

200g and less is light for a set of bars.
    USE Carbon road bars are under 200g in 46cm and very comfy.

carbon337
    Free Member

I use PRO PLT alloy light enough but i wouldn’t do Carbon bars on my race bike.

If you want an upgrade look at a good saddle and seatpost, better crankset, lighter shifters.

GP4000s tires are the best…. end of argument there, get them.

If its only worth 700 then save your cash and spend it on a trip to Majorca in the spring.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Road bar weights?’ is closed to new replies.