Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Road bar tape?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

What’s comfortable and durable for the commuter?

mrmo
    Free Member

fizik is durable but not the most padded.

Duc
    Free Member

Cinelli Cork

Just tried the Deda stuff and its rubbish

Specilised and Bontrager are also pretty good

luked2
    Free Member

+1 for Cinelli cork.

speaker2animals

I’ve got some Spesh stuff with gel inserts for under the tape, not tried it yet though. Used to swear by Cinelli Cork Ribbon.

bol

I use Spesh bar fat under fizik tape. Very comfy and looks nice too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

cheers folks. Cinelli cork it is then.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Bontrager is ace..used to use Cinelli but cant fault Bonty tape. Prologo tape also goood and a bit cheaper

Kuco

I find the spesh gel bar tape no good if your got small hands.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Fizik microtex is brilliant, but falls apart in the wet. Trying out the Lizard Skin DSP grip now and so far it is good.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I’ve found Bontrager gel tape to offer a good balance between comfort and durability. It’s pretty cheap too.

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely Specialized Phat. The tape never seems to wear out.
    I tried Fizik as it was cheaper and it was crap.

finbar
    Free Member

Bontrager, Easton, Ritchey, Prologo – i’ve used all these and they’re all good, basically the same as one another.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’m using Pro Digital tape at mo. Feels a bit like the lizardskins stuff but at half the price.

bigG
    Free Member

Brooks real leather tape for that authentic feel, v comfy and wears well IME

g

Ed2001
    Free Member

Bonty tape here and no sticky shit left on your bars when you replace the tape.

Duc
    Free Member

Thats actually a fair point – Cinelli stuff leaves loads of residue on the bars.
    I’ve used Profile as well in the past come to think of it and that was pretty good with no sticky stuff on the backing – it needs to be wrapped very carefully and tightly to stop it moving

flip
    Free Member

Fizik microtex is brilliant, but falls apart in the wet

Does it? i’ve 2 road bikes with it on and can confirm it looks and peforms superb.

The best since Benotto in the 80’s.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

fizik microtex falling apart in the wet? my fat arse … best tape I’ve tried for durability though I admit I prefer slightly less padded tapes.

that Brooks stuff is gash, No padding whatsoever, (not just less but none) and soaks in water in the rain. only get it if you have been sucked in by the fact that it is leather and brown. blech. fashionable but there are much better tapes out there.

Cork tape feels lovely, but I can never make it last more than about 2 weeks before it starts getting ripped up and falling off.

TenMen
    Free Member

+1 for the Brooks tape. No padding whatsoever, (not just less but none) and soaks in water in the rain. But it looks fantastic!

edhornby

charge tape is quite firm (not super spongy) but it’s bloody indestructable !!! I have some on my commuter bike and it gets right hammer, it’s still holding together really well

bullheart
    Free Member

I like Bonty tape. No problems with Fizik tape either.

aP
    Free Member

Fixik or bontrager tape are both good. I use fixik on my best road and cross bikes – good grip, longevity and absolutely fine in wet (and muddy) conditions.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Maybe I had a dodgy batch then!
    Must admit it was comfy and gave great control.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Road bar tape?’ is closed to new replies.