• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by cp.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Road bar advise
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I started doing some road rides a few weeks ago and I’m enjoying it (at the moment!).
    The bike is a Genesis Day 05 and is fitted with a set of standard diameter drop bars which seem to have a double bend into the drops. So far I’ve only gone into the drops a couple of times and it feels uncomfortable and seems quite a way from the hoods down to the drops – I should point out that I used to have a tri bike fitted with aero bars which I loved and felt comfortable on.
    So would a set of compact bars suit me better or should I just stick with what I’ve got? – at the moment I’m doing 40-50 miles riding on the hoods.
    I’m tempted by some OS bars so that I can get a thicker/flater platform on the top to hold when I’m not on the hoods – or can I make the current bars feel thicker with different tape?

cp

several questions, so seperated out answers:-

* I have a focus with FSA Vero compact bars – which I much prefer to my Specialized ‘anatomic’ (multi bend) bars on the tricross. Planet x do the Strada shallow drop, which is a similar shape to the Vero. I have a set of the PX too, to replace the spesh ones. I feel way more confident on the drops – hand planted in the curve feels more solid than on the anatomics.

* OS bars wont be any different in diameter to standard bars where you hold onto – the OS bit is only at the clamp area, then tapers quickly before the tape starts. You can get some bars with an oval or more flat section on the tops, but you pay for it.

* You can get thicker tape – stuff with ‘gel’ in the name is usually a bit thicker. Decathlon do a cheap gel tape which is pretty good, if there’s one near you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Road bar advise’ is closed to new replies.