Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road 10 sp shifters with a 9 speed mtb mech?
  • geoffj

Looking to add some lower gears to a compact setup. Will a 9 speed mtb mech work with 10 speed road shifters and are the 10 speed cassettes the same for road and mtb? Ta

njee20
    Free Member

Yes for shifters. Road cassettes are 1mm narrower, Shimano alleged there were compatibility issues, but never seen any problems whatsoever. So, to all intents and purposes, yes.

scaredypants

AS njee says

I’ve done it and it works just fine – not even any snags at the extremes of the cassette (ran a bike 1×10 for a while, so used lots of either end)

johnnystorm

My BIL just showed me his Dirty Disco with 105 10spd Brifters, Deore 9 speed non-shadow mech & 10spd 11-36 block. Worked a treat!

geoffj

My BIL just showed me his Dirty Disco with 105 10spd Brifters, Deore 9 speed non-shadow mech & 10spd 11-36 block. Worked a treat!

Perfect! Thanks very much all. 😀

scotroutes

Works for me Geoff. I have an XT cassette on the tourer

geoffj

and do I need a long cage if only running a double compact or can I get away with a medium cage?

Looking at this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xt-m771-9-speed-rear-derailleur/ with an 11-36 block

Ta

njee20
    Free Member

Two people tonight have now used the term ‘brifters’. I insist that no one ever uses it again, horrendous term

Medium cage will be fine!

scotroutes

Medium cage only has a capacity of 35T, so long cage needed?
    (50-34 plus 36-11 equals 41T)

geoffj

Long cage it is then!

njee20
    Free Member

Arse, yes, sorry, I’m thinking MTB gaps. It would probably work, but I’d go long to be sure.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve done it with a short cage but that was 11-32 so prob. best going long.

Sometimes it can over-shift very sightly, even with all stock items. Not sure why as sometimes it’s bob on. I’ve had to re-position the cable on the rear mech a few times to stop the overshifting, so just keep an eye out for that.

crazy-legs

Ultegra 10sp STIs working with a 10sp 12-30 Ultegra cassette and a 9sp XTR medium cage rear mech on my CX bike, works fine.

Next thing is to try it with a 12-36 XT cassette for the Three Peaks.

Also, I agree with njee20 on use of the term “brifter”. Use of that demands immediate death by firing squad.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road 10 sp shifters with a 9 speed mtb mech?’ is closed to new replies.