Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Rivington: Where are the San Remo and Ice Descents?
  • afrothunder88

Morning, as above really. Went for a pootle around Rivi yesterday and despite there being plenty of great riding, I didn't come across either of these, can anybody enlighten me? Preferably with a map location.

Cheers,

Rich

yoshimi

No doubt someone will be along with a map short;y but the ice cream run heads down the side of ther Pigeon Tower to the car park and San Marino starts near the mast and down to Belomont Road

D0NK

Have a look at this thread

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    afrothunder88

Ah, cheers Donk.

Turns out I was 2 minutes from the San Remo descent, ah well, more fun to be had next weekend.

afrothunder88

So for the Ice Cream run linked here, does this follow the road north leading to the carpark?

Chew
    Free Member

Yes follow the track down from the tower to the carpark, in a northerly direction.

afrothunder88

Excellent, cheers!

Andituk
    Free Member

Two tracks head off to your right as you look at the pigeon tower (with the mast behind you) Ice Cream Run is the left hand one. Right hand is Belmont Road. Did you do the singletrack in Wilderswood? Thats one of my favourites. Short but sweet.

afrothunder88

Did you do the singletrack in Wilderswood?

I did not, but its definately on the list for next weekend!

lowey
    CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

I normally ride around rivi then cycle home up towards the mast then down the San Marino run.

The road up to the mast is a killer and boring, does anyone know if there is an alternate route to get to the top of the San Marino decent.

I've looked on google maps and there seems to be a route, does anyone know if this is rideable?

lowey

Where are you joining the road Chuck ? There are a few alternatives but depends on where you get on the road.

Junkyard
    Free Member

paths to mast-not really from tower /barn side.
    One path up that is cheeky [footpaths]- on your left about 100metres after wildeswood turn- obvious gate style and no cycling sign.
    Options from Bolton side or a very long way round.
    E-mail me if you are going this weekend as I will be riding there.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Normally join here[/URL]. I cycle up the soul destroying road past the mast and then down the San Marino decent.

GavinB

Chuck,

The path that Junkyard is talking about is here

Option also open to make it more challenging (which I will only do if its dry, as it can be a little boggy), is to head left about 20 metres before you rejoin the boring road, just by some drainage tanks, and head up to the Two Lads, then ride along another cheeky section to rejoin the road higher up.

Another great descent is to ride down from the Two Lads to the kennels – sometimes referred to as the Kennel Run. You will end up

Enjoy!

lowey

Great link Gav :p

Chuck, go further along and climb the "hole in't wall path.

Here.

Join road, turn right, yes right and take this path Here.

Then climb up to Here and lift bike over gate and climb up Coal pit.

Takes you out Here.

Have fun!

Junkyard
    Free Member

kennell run – note split higher up to go to either mast or two lads

turn to two lads obvious on the ground but not marked

you can also push bike up fist part of kennel run and the ride the rest this can be very very boggy so not always rideable or enjoyable. Two lads is nice hard climb and doable even when boggy ona singlespeed…..not by me but I have seen it done. All the paths I have noted are footpaths and I generally avoid unless dry and /or night riding.Never had any probs on them from walkers though.

You can also ride off the shoulder of rivvy – ride the gully trust me!
    Cyle to end of road and at last building to your right and immediate left along an abovious path/route along top of ridge to the obvious route down. You will do well not to dab. Dont be tempted by the grass it is much steeper and slippy and you willtripod down or crash in the large unseen divots/ruts. Joins belmont road so left back up to tower or do Leads mines Clough on other side of road.

shoulder here clear on ground not on map

yoshimi

Dont be tempted by the grass it is much steeper and slippy and you willtripod down or crash in the large unseen divots/ruts

I concur 😥

D0NK

Dont be tempted by the grass it is much steeper and slippy and you willtripod down or crash in the large unseen divots/ruts

It is pretty funny at night in the pissing rain tho 🙂

GavinB

lowey – Member
    Great link Gav :p

How did that happen? 😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is pretty funny at night in the pissing rain tho

I did clear the steep bit though I crashed [spectacularily] at the bottom 🙁
    Not sure the fog helped either
    Should be fine for weekend much better today

D0NK

everybody crashed

Should be fine for weekend much better today

cool

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Just an observation, was up Rivvy last night "shreading the rad" and saw a "lady" on a MTB by herself climbing up the chinese gardens, never seen that before. 😛

That is all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

singlesppeed 29 er? Pink hope brakes?
    The ladies bike that is not yours 😉

lowey

Seen loads of solo girls up rivi over the years. Always good to see.

As for the shoulder, click this for a video of Wors of this forum showing how NOT to descend it. 😆

wors

That requires years of hard work and dedication that does (and a slick tyre)

Junkyard
    Free Member

that side of the gully is the chicken run try the other side

D0NK

A lady or a "lady"

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

junkyard, could not tell you what bike it was as, i was at "warp factor 8.2356" going down the chinese gardens and my eyes were watering.

lowey, amazing skills by wors, how can you fall off going so slow, legend??

The video makes the decent look quite flat. 😯

lowey

lowey, amazing skills by wors, how can you fall off going so slow, legend??

By setting off with your back brake firmly clamped to the bar. That, and as he says, years of practice.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Mintball up rivvy at the moment, dog kennel decent was rapid, all trails dusty and fast,love it 😛

Vortexracing

Up there tomorrow night.

Did the San marino last Friday afternoon, is getting nicely cut up now and is bone dry, bloody fast it is. Too fast at times 😯

the wilderswood bit you are on about Andituk, is it the one through the woods or the one between the Kennnels and the FP that Junkyard and Lowey are on about up to the road near the two lads.

If it's the later thay have uncovered some steps on the cheeky left hand bit just as you have gone over the drop off at the top, plus they have cleared the trees, makes it a nice little run now.

D0NK

If it's the later thay have uncovered some steps on the cheeky left hand bit just as you have gone over the drop off at the top, plus they have cleared the trees, makes it a nice little run now.

Which bits that chucky? here?

Vortexracing

yip thats the one donk, joins up to the wide rocky descent a bit lower down. (cuts the corner off really). It used to have a washed away gully as the run in but now it's got steps alonside the gully.

Junkyard
    Free Member

donk it is the bit I like doing on the corner but you prefer the all out sppeed of the singletrack

lowey

Never understood all the fuss about WW.

Junkyard
    Free Member

we know the lack of a pub at the end makes it joyless for you 🙄
    I tend to ride it to here and then return up the steep road climb
    b@stard tarmac I call it on the left path and then up!
    here and up to car park
    I hate belmont road from pidgeon tower and cant decide if it is worse going up it or down it.

Andituk
    Free Member

the wilderswood bit you are on about Andituk, is it the one through the woods or the one between the Kennnels and the FP that Junkyard and Lowey are on about up to the road near the two lads.

The BW that drops down into the woods. Was great last time I was there, even the boggy muddy bit in the middle had dried out great 😀

Nezbo
    Free Member

Here are some maps for you 🙂

Ice Screem run is:

And the San Marino is:

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Rivington: Where are the San Remo and Ice Descents?’ is closed to new replies.