Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rivington – San Marino
  • craig24
    Free Member

Recently been riding Rivington once or twice a week, I’ve been using the following GPX as a guide to get me round –

http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/rivington-pike

Can anyone recommend a way I can incorporate San Marino into this? I know where it starts but am unsure on how to get back over to Rivington after.

Does anyone have any GPX or Strava links they may be willing to share? 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

You know it’s a footpath, right? 😉

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

best to just ride back up it.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

There’s three options:

1. Pedal up the road from Black Dog in Belmont.
    2. Offroad from the other pub in Belmont and climb parallel to the road.
    3. Ride back up San Marino.

I’d recommend the third option. It’s a good challenge to climb it.

craig24
    Free Member

Sounds like back up is the way to go then. Cheers!

carlos
    Free Member

Ride back up, find the track down Smithhills Moor, onto Coal Pit Road, First Right though the works yard and right at Colliers Row Road, follow round the 90 left and take the track/lane on the right, opposite Walker Fold farm. Follow this back up to the road that leads up to the Aerials, descend to the Dog Hotel and pick up your loop into Wilderwood

binners

Stop for a pint and a fag sat outside the Black Dog, then ride back up the road, burping 😀

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

depending how far you want to go,you can turn left on Belmont road,go right by the dye works, follow the orad around and pick up the whitton weavers way , use it to get to entwistle or back over great hill

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

ride back up it! cracking climb 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

Down, up and back down again is actually a strava segment 😀

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

What Carlos said-that way you get 3 cracking descents. Or, back up to top, hang a right at the aerials then follow the steep track down to the cobbled road. Turn left then number of choices at the Pigeon tower.

craig24
    Free Member

I’m just mapping out Carlos’ suggestion now, think I will give it ago. Cheers everyone, didn’t realise the extent of Rivington knowledge on here.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i tend to drive and park at San Marino so its the first climb and last descent. epic way to finish any ride!

traildog
    Free Member

I would advise avoiding route option 2 on a Sunday. The motorbikes are crazy and one crashed right near me once, the bike (without rider) passing me about a meter away. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Option 1 is good in summer, option 3 year round.

Or option 4, ride to Tockholes, then through to the nab and back to Rivington making it a proper ride.

chakaping
    Free Member

then through to the nab and back to Rivington

What’s your preferred route for this bit? Back Lane?

Tockholes, then through to the nab

Also curious about this, I tend to go over Great Hill but obviously that’s quite hard work from Tockholes.

Down, up and back down again is actually a strava segment

Go on then, link.

🙂

craig24
    Free Member

If starting out at San Marino, where is the best place to park?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I dont think there are double yellow lines on Belmont Road at the bottom of San Marino – there are plenty of safe places on the opposite side of the road.

Chakaping – i ride from Tockholes to the Nab occasionally and it will depend on whether there are lots of walkers about. I like to ride around Roddlesworth Reservoirs, exit at the Hare & Hounds at Abbey Village and then go up Dole Lane. Take the left forked road past the quarries and drop down into Brinscall. There are then various cheeky options through the wodds and along the goyt down towards Healey Nab.

If im feeling adventurous i will go up the steep tarmac road from brinscall and get onto the moor (heading towards Great Hill) and follow the track over to Anglezarke.

grannyjone
    Free Member

This in my opinion is the best route for a Rivington ride incorporating San Marino:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/361241856

Ride from Rivington upto Rivington Moor, along George’s Lane then up the path towards Two Lads hill, then the access road to Winter Hill radio towers. San Marino descent, pass Belmont resr then Delph resr. Follow Witton Weavers Way all the way to Tockholes, then up to Darwen Moor then some singletrack to the Jubilee Tower. Long descent down to & through Roddlesworth Woods. Of cause you could miss out Darwen Moor but while your over in Tockholes it would be a shame to miss it out as it is great. Then you go over to Brinscall, slight downhill grade all the way to Healey Nab. Alternatively could go up and over Wheelton Moor for another climb with good views and good descent into White Coppice. Could do the red-graded trail at Healey Nab or just ride past it if lacking on time. Alternatively you could ride the flat route alongside Yarrow reservoir. Then its through Anglezarke short climb gradual descent passed the reservoirs to Rivington and then Liverpool Castle ruins & back to cars.

Great route about 47k and takes about 3 hours going at a moderate pace. I do this route at least a few times a year, if I’m riding from Rivington I always tend to do this. It makes a much better day out than just riding back up San Marino it actually feels like you’re going to more different places. I don’t see the point in riding back up San Marino when there’s so much good riding in the moors behind Winter Hill. If anyone is up for a ride on this route let me know.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rivington – San Marino’ is closed to new replies.