Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • River Monsters vs Robson's Extreme Fishing – which is best?
  • superleggero
    Free Member

Is it the pseudo-scientific wildlife travelogue with ramped up danger factor presented by ever so serious whispering Jeremy Wade, or is it the irreverent joker, competitive angling tourist and erstwile actor Robson Green? So different yet so similar.

BTW I don’t go fishing and have no interest in ever going fishing but I like watching these programmes about other people fishing. I suspect I am not alone.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Personally, I’ve grown to quite like Robson Green and theres none of the fake/staged rubbish like on River Monsters. Jeremy Wade sitting solemnly, listening to how some kind of mythical beast pulled his nan into the river last week, all the while scribbling pictures of fire-breathing dragons into his notebook and coming to the conclusion that it was definitely a catfish. He’ll then go on to catch one which is a tenth of the size of the story and come to the conclusion that because he caught a 50lb’er, there are definitely 500lb’ers in the river that have developed legs and can swing through the trees, feasting on villagers and tigers.

MrSmith
    Free Member

river monsters if only for the plane crash he survived (yes its on film)
    i do find Jeremy a bit ‘snatchy’ with his rod and i swear he would lose less fish if he had a bit more finesse.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Either way, I would love to travel the world fishing. Some of the places they both get to look amazing…

chakaping
    Free Member

I always mis-read it as Extreme Fisting With Robson Greene.

So I’m voting for that.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

chakaping has gone to the wrong BBC page when he typed it into google

tonyg2003

Robson every time!!

TheFlyingOx

I dunno about Robson Green. The one episode I saw had a local from some huge lake in Africa motor them out to the fishing point and cast the lines. Robson reeled in for about 20 seconds when a fish bit, then handed to rod back to the African chap who proceeded to finish off and land the fish, all on his own, with Robson whooping and hollering in the background like a chimpanzee on Adderall. Robson then takes the landed fish off the other bloke and proudly exclaims “THIS IS THE BIGGEST FISH I’VE EVER CAUGHT!”.

No, Robson, you held the rod for a bit while the owner got his boat sorted.

chakaping
    Free Member

chakaping has gone to the wrong BBC page when he typed it into google

There’s always one who lowers the tone.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Robson’s a bit shouty but Jeremy’s abit bullshitty. Mmmm. Varies on level of shoutyness bullshittyness per episode. Bring back John Wilson.

soundb0y
    Free Member

Love a bit of Robson Green.

Makes me laugh every time when he turns up to some village in the rainforest made out of mud huts or something and then proceeds to take the piss out of the locals or try and hit on the women.

tang
    Free Member

If I was trapped on a boat for the day, wade every time! Robson is so irritating. Oh yes, John Wilson ftw!

imnotverygood

Anyone remember The Great Fishing Race? That was brilliant TV.

jimjam
    Free Member

I have no interest in the sporting aspect of fishing but I do enjoy River Monsters. I particualrly like Jeremy’s Garth Merenghi impersonation.

DezB
    Free Member

I suspect I am not alone.

Alone.. maybe not. But I reckon you’re one of not many.

keefmac

they’re both entertaining, speaking as a non-fisherman. the one with Jeremy in chernobyl was pretty good, mutant radioactive killer fish! whats not to like 🙂

Vern0n
    Free Member

River Monsters! Bit more gnarrrr
    But I love em both

DaRC_L

Alone.. maybe not. But I reckon you’re one of not many.

I suspect that as the series keep getting investment there must be quite a few non-fishermen/women who watch them (as every fisherman I know hates both programmes)

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Children love the whispering danger of river monsters, I vote for the witty banter of the erstwhile actor

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What was the name of the show with the boring Brummie coarse fisherman up against the uber camp kid on Scots laird in various locations?. I liked that, strangely. John wilsons constant chuckling was super annoying.

Paul Young – hooked on scotland was watched constantly when I was about 12, loved it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I like cheese on my fish pie so watched all of River Monsters religiously 🙂

bigjim

they’re both making the programs a bit stupid to make sellable tv, non-anglers wouldn’t watch them otherwise. robson green seems to have toned down the playing the fool a bit on the new series though, but he still comes across way more annoying than on any other of his programs. jeremy wade’s down the crazy river book is worth a read.

withersea
    Free Member

Robson, time and time again.

garage-dweller

Bring back John Wilson

I don’t even fish but I always liked Go Fishing (I think that was what it was called)

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Both have entertainment value to me, rather than the usual soap drivel that’s on at similar times, so, I’ll sit on the fence……… except Robson eating fly soup and testicals was erm interesting 😯

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I like Robson as a an actor but he really gets on my wick on the fishy programme & I much prefer Jeremy. As an angler I’d really wish they’d both explain more about techniques & the gear theyr’e using.

mikey74
    Free Member

I can’t believe this is a debate: River Monsters every time.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve always found Robson Green to be a bit annoying…so River Monsters wins in my house!

^^ this is my all time favourite episode

hammyuk
    Free Member

F*^% getting the hook back out of that B*&^%$£!!!!!!!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘River Monsters vs Robson's Extreme Fishing – which is best?’ is closed to new replies.