Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Riv nuts….do I need a special tool?
  • georgecats_0
    Free Member

I’ve knackered a bottle cage boss on my frame, managed to remove the old riv nut, could I refit a new one with a pop riveted, or is it a bikeshop job,? Also anyone gotva riv nut I could purchase please?

bencooper
    Free Member

You need a special tool – it looks a bit like a pop rivet gun, but has a threaded rod to pull the nut.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The tool is cheap at places on eBay, usually come with a selection of inserts too, probably want alu ones for bottle cage mounts so go steady when setting as they strip easily.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I made a tool from a bunch of nuts and washers and a bolt. You need to hold the bolt stationary while you wind the nut down the bolt so it pulls the bolt through and deforms the rivnut. Would be a PITA if you have a lot to do, but for a few it works a treat. You just need to be careful not to overdo it as the temptation is always there to keep going until you feel some resistance, but if you go too far you’ll distort the rivnut.

pirahna
    Free Member

I was wondering the same thing this morning. A good DIY fix to use an old rear hub and QR skewer, it’s on the Park Tools site. The proper tool is £12 on eBay so I bought one rather than bodge it..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Riv nuts….do I need a special tool?’ is closed to new replies.