• This topic has 120 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • Ritchey road logic 2.0
  • jameso

I could buy a Ritchey road frame just for that seat stay / seat cluster arrangement. Pure class. Tom Ritchey knows his stuff with steel frames. So what if I’d be paying ~25% more for that reputation, it’s been built and earned.

MrSmith
    Free Member

With that logic I would rather pay £1-£1.2k for a Rourke. You get to meet the chap who wields the torch and you can go custom geometry/paint.

jameso

Yeah I’d have a Rourke pretty easily too. Bought my first mtb there and always thought that’s where I’d go for a custom lightweight road bike.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve rarely seen a custom paint job that didn’t look like it came out of a shed in the 1980’s

fatmax

Go for a Shand Skinnymalinky instead!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They say this one is heat-treated (like 853) and triple butted – which doesn’t sound like gas-pipe to me.

853 is heat treated, but it’s the air hardening that makes it ‘special’. On the principal that they’d shout from the rooftops if it was anything but ordinary, it’s probably just heat treated Cr-Mo, equivalent to Reynolds 725, which is the same material as 525 but heat treated.

I don’t doubt that it’s a good frame, well designed etc etc (although personally I don’t like the paint). My reservation is that it’s a Cr-Mo frame for £700, that’s Bob Jackson money. One of those cases where it cost more therefore must be better?

rutland
    Free Member

I have not ridden a Road Logic (unfortunately) but I do own a Ritchey Swiss Cross as well as a double-butted 4130 steel framed bike and the difference between the two is significant. The Ritchey is far more comfortable – it seems to absorb the shocks and vibrations far better – and it just seems far more alive in comparison. It really does have a springy response. Whatever the triple butted tubing actually is, it’s a fantastic frame and it makes me want to give a Road Logic a try.

g123456
    Free Member

Got a Ritchey Logic 2.0 last year in 55cm
    Ive set it up very racey im 6ft 1. ultegra group set light superstar climbing wheels and id say for steel bikes i own its the stiffest for sprinting and yet gives a very nice ride for munching miles. Its very light for steel but that does mean you’ve got to treat it well. Im not going back to a carbon frame having got one.

Got mine for Acycles last year and once it was instock they sent it pretty quick.

As the Genesis Volar was going to cost me £200 more than the Ritchey it was a no brainer

Bregante

Well I couldn’t resist and have bought a used (but indistinguishable from new) one with a full Ultegra groupset. There are some parts which will go straight away, namely the silver Ritchey finishing kit. I’ll have to make do with de stickering the rims for now but it’s fitted with a DT Swiss R23 Spline wheelset which seems light enough until I can save some pennies for a set of Archetypes or similar.

I haven’t weighed it but it’s certainly a lighter than my carbon Ribble, (perhaps not surprising given its 105 build)

The aim is to take it from this.

To something vaguely resembling this (albeit on a modest budget)

I’d love to be able to tell you how it rides but it’s going to be an agonising 6 week wait until my knee heals…

nerd
    Free Member

Just buy a Merckx Corsa Extra off eBay for £300. Or a MX Leader for £400.

boblo
    Free Member

I have a Reynolds 525 frame and it weighs more than Pluto and rides like a dead rhino. Exaggeration added for comedic effect but it really is not lively in any way.

Bregante

Mine’s finished for now but not yet set up properly for me until I get rid of these bloody crutches.

Roll on spring!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice build. That second photo up there is lovely. Does look better with a shorter headtube but I guess there’s not much you can do about that. Hope you get ride of the crutches soon and are able to give it a damn good thrashing 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

Shweet. Bring back steel road bikes I say.

*Love* my Kapu

mboy
    Free Member

Holy Thread resurrection Batman!

Cos I’m after some more pics of your built bikes… FINALLY got round to ordering myself a frame, so looking for build inspiration right now… So get posting pics of your lovely bikes.

Bregante

Still loving mine and haven’t changed anything on it since my original pic above. It’s my only road bike and I’ve been doing regular rides of 50-70 miles and it is just a lovely thing. Doing the Manchester 100 on it tomorrow.

[img]https://c2.staticflickr.com/9/8130/29390199145_2a71906146_h.jpg[/img]

jonwe
    Free Member

Here’s mine. I was aiming for campag but my mate gave me some dura-ace shiney bits that i fell in love with. I’ve a pathalogical dislike for modern shimano chainsets so went praxis. Oh and gatorskins as they have a hint of tan sidewalls. Anyhow, it’s a thing of aesthetic and engineering beauty, the paint colour is excellent, despite being mitsubishi metalic grey, and it rides very sweetly whatever form of tripple butted gas pipe tom built it from. I will be keeping this forever though the bar tape, qrs and wheels are likely to change. Here on flickr

jonwe
    Free Member

Grrr – how do you embed flickr photos on a singletrackworldritcheyroadlogic2 thread?

mboy
    Free Member

What wheels currently jonwe?

jonwe
    Free Member

Those are mavic elites. Some deeper carbon rims might look better.

jonwe
    Free Member

Mboy please share your build pics as you go.

explosifpete
    Free Member

In response to some earlier comments comparing these frames to others, I disagree and rate the ritchey over the Genesis and Planet X by some margin.
    I build bikes for a living so get to ride loads without the ‘I’ve just spent loads of cash so I’ll tell myself it’s good’ bias
    I used to own a px pompino (SIS version of a kaffenback) the geometry was great and it handled well but it was heavy, far more than advertised, had the dead feeling people speak of (in case you don’t know this feeling, when you hit a bump on a high end steel bike it absorbs the impact and the releases that energy like a spring which makes it feel sprightly, the cheaper steel absorbs the impact and then… Nothing. It’s a bit like a suspension fork with the rebound wound to full.
    The px was great for touring but when rode fast it was uninspiring.
    The Genesis was a real disappointment to me (my opinion contridicts other reviews and is only my opinion) I had seen them from prototype stages at the shows and it was clear Genesis made a real effort with it, but to me it’s if they are trying to make a carbon bike from steel and it’s beyond me why you would use a pressfit bb on a steel bike, on carbon it’s cheaper and lighter not to have to bond in a threaded alloy shell but on a steel frame I can see no benefit. The ride was I similar story, stiffer than other steel bikes I’ve ridden but ride comfort was affected, it felt like a heavy low end carbon frame.
    The ritchey is a work of art, lovely paint and the fingernail tap test reveals some heavily butted tubes.
    They ride well, comfortable in the saddle and lively out of it, if you mash big gears or are on the heavy side it will flex laterally but for me this is not a problem.
    In fact I’ve just brought one to build up in to be my comfortable all day riding bike.

IHN

Cos I’m after some more pics of your built bikes…

Mine was built by some ropey bike shop in the Black Country, you could ask them if they kept any pics 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice these. Anyone run them with guards? Much room to spare? Know they don’t have eyelets but I’m thinking of something like the PDW ones.

mboy
    Free Member

Well it arrived this morning, and it’s about to get built up! Just weighed it, bang on 1.75kg (3lb 14oz) for a 53cm frame. Not too bad I thought, anyway… Will hopefully have some pics of it built for tomorrow.

Nice these. Anyone run them with guards? Much room to spare? Know they don’t have eyelets but I’m thinking of something like the PDW ones.

Was wondering the same question myself. Anyone tried the PDW’s or anything similar on the Ritchey?

Bregante

No. But I’d be interested to see how you get on if you do. 😀

mtbtomo
    Free Member

@ExplosifPete – Are you talking about the Volare? That’s a bit more race focussed no? Meant to be stiffer surely?

hora
    Free Member

Nice subject 🙂

househusband

Seeing this reminds me to take a photo of mine and post it up. Have only done a couple of hundred kilometres or so on it and the steerer badly needs cutting down…

Thanks again for the advice, Bregante! Glad to see that you are no able to get some miles in on it.

mboy
    Free Member

Well… Just thrown mine together (not literally of course), but it’s now dark so I neither have anywhere to take a decent photo or any lights to give it a ride. So will do that tomorrow. In the meantime, spec as follows…

53cm Ritchey Logic Road Frame
    Zipp Service Course SLC 44cm Bar
    Zipp Service Course SL 110mm Stem
    Zipp Service Course SL Layback post
    SRAM Red 10spd setup in 36/52 chainset, WiFli Rear mech, Yaw front mech (decided wasn’t worth selling it just to fit 11spd 2 rungs down)
    Ultegra 6700 12-30 cassette
    PYC 10spd chain (a freebie)
    Tektro R540 brakes (another freebie)
    PRO Turnix Saddle
    Shimano RS61 wheels (for now) with 25c Schwalbe One Tubeless tyres
    Look Keo Max 2 pedals

It’s pretty light, 8.3kg inc pedals and cages is not to be sniffed at for steel, especially considering the budget wheels!

cokie

Love these! I spotted my first one in a shop the other day and couldn’t stop coming back to it, despite there being various other bikes costing 5 times more. There’s something so right about the tube size and the frame proportions.

Mboy, if you ever sell- let me know 😆

mboy
    Free Member

Mboy, if you ever sell- let me know

Your number is on speed dial mate! 😉

Anyway… Here it is…

Probably gonna change the wheels at some point, nothing wrong wth the RS61’s per se but they’re not the most inspiring ride, even for the money.

IHN

White bar tape and saddle eh, who’s idea was that?

Needs steel bottle cages.

househusband

And here’s mine… 57cm.

10sp Shimano 105 groupset from the Scott CR1 Pro before it
    Deda stem and bars
    Easton carbon seatpost
    Borg 22 Wheelset from The Cycle Clinic (Kinlin XR22 on Miche Primato hubs)
    Veloflex Open Corsa 25mm tyres

May well go for a bike fit as a birthday present to myself next month, so bought cheap bars and stem. Currently using Time ATAC mtb pedals at the moment; I do have new cleats for the road shoes, so would have them fitted next month. Would also get steerer cut to appropriate length then.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does look better in a smaller size, though that goes for most bikes, especially skinny tubed ones.

mboy, that’d look great with some 40mm rims, slammed, and black saddle and bar tape 🙂

Bit like this one…

househusband

Does look better in a smaller size, though that goes for most bikes, especially skinny tubed ones.

Yeah, kinda know what you mean – down to wheel size and proportion, perhaps – but then I can’t help being 6’1″. Many opine that bikes like this look good with deep rim wheels, too.

ctk
    Free Member

imo the 57cm looks proportionally ‘right’.

Bregante

Thanks again for the advice, Bregante! Glad to see that you are no able to get some miles in on it.

No problem. Glad to see you got one and hopefully some of the stuff I was trying to describe to you now makes sense. It’s certainly got about about a bit over the past few months.

What’s that, more pics? OK then.

Yorkshire

Wales

Outside the weekend place 😉

In the kitchen the night before the Mcr 100

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks pretty good; could do with less spacers, a -8 or 10 degree stem to match the top tube angle, short cage rear mech, a nicer chainset like a Rival 10 speed with different rings.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Ritchey road logic 2.0’ is closed to new replies.