Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Riser bars – when is more rise too much
  • theupsetter
    Free Member

Was about to order a 40mm carbon bar but was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to how this might change the handling of my bike. Bike is a 5inch trail bike with 150mm fork.

I want to try the 40mm rise as Im hoping that sitting a little more upright might help with the ongoing hand pain I’ve been getting after riding my bike – Been playing about with different forks settings, grips, bars and stems but not having much luck.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I run Stooge Moto’s – luv em

~40mm rise, 800 wide and proper amount of sweep for long ride comfort

theupsetter
    Free Member

how do they feel when the trail gets rough ?

kaiser
    Free Member

if you’re interested I’ve got an uncut renthal fat bar carbon 31.8 / 780mm 40mm rise which has only been fitted and ridden a few miles . £65 posted
    mail in profile
    Bill

bonesetter
    Free Member

They transformed my bikes

I use two on the Stooge and Stache which are both rigid. They help a lot on the rough as there is less weight on the bars

honourablegeorge

It’ll shorten reach a bit, make your more upright, probably take some wweight (grip) off the front, and possibly make you climb a little worse.

All in all, it’s a trick one

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d say if you’re getting hand pain, give it a go. You’ll ride more and enjoy it more if you can stop the hand pain.

theupsetter
    Free Member

Was thinking taking weight of the front might help hands but less grip is never good.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’d say you’re probably looking at the wrong thing. You’ll have less weight on your hands riding on the flat but when you actually need to control the bike or hit anything rough it’s not going to make much difference.

What sort of hand pain are you getting? Have you tried different grips? What’s your core strength like? You should use your core to support your upper body rather than your hands/arms. You should be able to ride comfortably on the flat with minimal weight on your hands.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Less grip??

Lean forwards and weight the front…??

phutphutend

What’s good for one person may not suit yourself.

Try and get some video of, or mates watching, you riding. Corners, steep sections, rough stuff. Where is your weight? It needs to be well balanced between front and rear.

If your need more weight on the front tyre, use lower bars. To far forward, perhaps the higher bars are what you need?

Just spent a bit of time with Chris Porter from Mojo setting up the suspension on my bike. Aside from getting my suspension sorted first, he also dropped my bars a bit and rolled them forward. With this small change, I was instantly riding way better and in more control.

I suppose we rarely see ourselves riding. But doing so, would allow us to get in the right position. Rather than just copying our peers and the fast boys!

pickle
    Free Member

Love my Nukeproof 40mm risers

theupsetter
    Free Member

Kaiser – would love the bars, just sent you an email.

SirHC

How tall are you and what bike are you ridng?

Less grip??
    Lean forwards and weight the front…??

Depends if the cockpit is set up somewhere in the ballpark to start with, as you want to avoid compromising your body position to sort out a bad setup.

FYI, I’m 6ft and ride a large Reign & Trance. Both bikes have been setup so they feel roughly the same and makes it easy to swap between bikes. The trance
    is used for XC/trail centres and the reign for fast/technical/dh style riding.

I would first try spacing the bars up before buying new bars. Also would look at different grips, ergon make the Ge1 which I found quite comfortable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Riser bars – when is more rise too much’ is closed to new replies.