Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ripping CD's
  • dabaldie
    Free Member

So I’ve got few CDs wwhich I would like to rip down to my laptop and then move to my phone. I know Streaming is the thing these days but data here is intermittent so a good old fashioned mp3 is fine.
    I used to use CDEX on the old pc,but the laptop didn’t have an external drive. This was delivered by santa.
    What is the go-to software these days as the CDEX site keeps crashing or locking the download at 2%

I know iTunes can do it, but I want a mp3 format that is compatible with all the old tech we have.
    Any pointers?

zokes
    Free Member

iTunes can do it as MP3, just set it in preferences.

jekkyl

Pretty sure iTunes can rip to mp3. Have a dig about the settings. I’d just pick any free well reviewed generic ripper from Download.com

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajaj
    Free Member
    ajantom

iTunes definitely does it – I just converted an album downloaded as Wavs to MP3.
    In one of the drop down menus it has a ‘convert to MP3’ option.
    Also in the preferences you can choose the ripping format and quality of mp3.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I just use the standard Windows Media player. (Assuming you have a Windows pc, not an Apple thing).

Rips CDs to MP3 and you can choose your bit rate in the settings, then drag and drop to phone/memory card.

stumpy01

Just use Windows Media Player.

CountZero

Check what format your older devices can cope with, AAC is actually MP4, and has been around for ages, I used to play AAC files on an old Nokia phone, and an old Sony K750i as well. It’s not Apple’s proprietary format, they licence it from the MPEG group, the codec is better quality, and MP3 is no longer supported anyway.

Del

sony’s ‘media go’ is ok and free.

CraigW
    Free Member

Free:ac is good, I am using it as a replacement for CDex. It is free/open source. https://www.freac.org/

4ags4
    Free Member

musicbee is a nice bit of free software…can be used for ripping (most formats) organising etc

Fat-boy-fat

Mediamonkey for me

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Windows Media. Rip to FLAC format.

Simples 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Still use Cdex myself. Maybe you’ve been trying a hooky site, there are a few.

Just click on the below link to get the official CDEx download –

http://mirror.cdex.mu/CDex-1.96.exe

dannybgoode

Exact Audio Copy is what I use. Free and very good.

Klunk
    Free Member

usually quicker and less hassle to download them 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

You can’t download CDs. 😛

leffeboy

iTunes will do mp3 but as CountZero says it’s worth checking if your player does aac instead as it it very likely that it does. iTunes will do that as well of course. You can set it in preferences and if you have already ripped the track in you can use iTunes to create a copy in the new format.

stom86
    Free Member

dannybgoode – Member
    Exact Audio Copy is what I use. Free and very good.

This.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Another vote for EAC, as above.

integerspin
    Free Member

I used to use foobar.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ripping CD's’ is closed to new replies.