Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ripped a knob off!
  • rossburton
    Free Member

Did a slow run down a moderately stony short descent today and discovered I had a flat when I got to the bottom. Left tools at home of course, so had to walk back to the car.

Get home, pump up tyre, I can hear there’s a leak that the Stans hasn’t sealed. A quick spin around and discovered that there’s a split alongside one of the knobs on the edge, if I push the knob in then it stops hissing but I can push it to the side and lots of air comes out.

I’m guessing this is quite terminal… that tyre is really new! 🙁

Don’t suppose anyone has some 26″ Nobby Nics going spare?

ajantom

You should be able to patch that from the inside.

rossburton
    Free Member

As in with a standard tube patch, or something else? I’ve some Park instant patches somewhere.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

Don’t suppose anyone has some 26″ Nobby Nics going spare?

Soon as I saw the title I knew this would be it

sillysilly
    Free Member

Had this exact thing with a Magic Mary the other day. Even though the tab was ripped the actual hole wasn’t massive / covering the whole knob. Used the £5 Genuine Innovations tubeless repair anchovy kit and it saved the day. Dynaplug also do a kit with some giant plugs for fixing on the trail while the tyre is hissing stans at you.

ajantom

As in with a standard tube patch, or something else? I’ve some Park instant patches somewhere.

No, normal patches won’t cut it, especially the preglued ones.

I used diy patches made from an old DH inner tube, cleaned and sanded the inside of the tire, and stuck on with rubber solution.
    I stuck a tube in and left it inflated for 24 hours to let the glue cure.
    Went up tubeless fine after that.

Tracey

Get some motorbike mushroom plugs from ebay to repair it. A tyre plug on the trail usually gets you home.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I was guessing schwable tyres before I finished reading your post – done it to plenty in the past, they seem fragile on the top of the carcass near the nobs.

No, normal patches won’t cut it, especially the preglued ones.

Normal patches will cut it just fine (but not pre-glued ones) have patched several schwable tyres from the inside that way (big patches) One had 5 patches before it finally died (although seems that you normally tear at the bead when they run flat – in which case terminal as can’t patch effectively near the bead). Make sure you clean round the hole on the inside of the tyre well (bit of wet & dry parr and a rub down with IPA), patch from the inside and then a bit of gaffer tape if you want extra security. Alternatively Velox do a patch kit that is extra thick specifically for tubeless tyres

If the split is all the way along the knob, might be worth adding some super glue or shoe goo form the outside once the patch has dried

rs
    Free Member

I did in recently to a maxxis aggressor, was kind glad to see the back of it, didn’t even think about repairing it.

rossburton
    Free Member

Jesus christ the one thing more annoying than ripping a knob off is the tyre being basically welded to the rim. “Strictly is on, I’ll fix that tyre” I thought. Just spent the last 90 minutes getting *one side* of the tyre off the rim, and the other side is still stuck fast!

ajantom

Wheel on ground, and stand carefully on the deflated tyre. Always works for me.

seadog101

I’m convinced the NNs my bike had for a while were possessed. Brilliant, right up until the moment you started to trust them a bit too much.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Had this a couple of weeks ago with a Hans Dampf too
    It was due for replacement anyway so just stuck a tube in for now.
    Changing it to High Roller ll
    Cheers
    Steve

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

OP – Tracey is spot on, great for doing holes that might be a bit much for an anchovie.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ripped a knob off!’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts