Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • RIP Whites level.
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

Maybe a bit melodramatic but…. It is with deepest regret that I have to inform you all that the once great whites level climb is now dead.

Minus the tress it’s turned into a 6 inch deep quagmire from the first turn up through the switchbacks, past photo corner to the fire road.

I actually started to loose my sense of humour over it, then got really sad as it was my fave climb that I’ve done, never failed to make me swear, my legs burn and my lungs ache.

Farewell whites, it was good knowing you.

gdj001
    Free Member

Been gone a while hasn’t it?

Was my favourite climb as well; decent gradient and technical. Although I quite enjoy the new climb up the old descent

bikeneil
    Free Member

Is it still there then, you just don’t like it anymore?

therag
    Free Member

Was planning on making it my next ride, used to hate every second of it until I got to the top, then eventually think, wow that was good, damn good!
    We do have a special relationship tho as it was my first mtb ride.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Not been to afan in ages , can’t say I remember whites climb as memorable sorry

Have many changes been made

therag
    Free Member

Still there, but had a hair cut

cooie

Why’s it gone?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

The old climb re-opened last weekend? Maybe the one before.

The removal of the trees has taken away much of the character but the straw that broke the camels back is the surface is just fckued…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I too remember that climb as you described. To be honest I haven’t bothered with Afan for a long time now, the removal of the trees on The Wall kills most of the interst in the trail for me, the photo in the mag recently just looked like a desolate landscape.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Slight tanget but think my fav climb is still cwm carne

porter_jamie

It’s meaty

toys19
    Free Member

you lot are bonkers, who cares about a climb?

therag
    Free Member

Toys, don’t get me wrong, I hate all climbs but this one less than others. Interesting all the way.

Ambrose

FWIW the powers that be recognise that there are problems and plan to deal with the surface soon. See the Cognation site for details.

When all is said and done though- you went out on your bike and it was a muddy climb. I’m assuming your point is that it was hard work. It’s a big climb, it’s been raining a lot around here recently. It’s not very warm, so not a lot of heat to dry things off…

Yr Rheilfordd in the valley is lovely and smooth.

rickon
    Free Member

One day, two years ago… I rode all the trail centres in mid and south Wales in 24 hours. I started at Nant yr Arian, and went south.

When I got to the Whites climb I had been on the go for sixteen hours, it was dark, raining, and i had started to hallucinate. It was the lowest point in all the rides i’d ever done, bordering on crying and giving up. And I’m sure the killer clowns we stalking me.

I’ve ridden the whites probably some 50 times, some slow, some casual, some mega rapido, but that is my lasting memory.

It was a classic climb, and reminds me of first moving to south Wales and meeting some great people, particularly the chap I spent 24 hours with in a van, and on those welsh trails, eating cake, flinging tea bags, and having mini mental breakdowns.

granny_ring

I never managed to ‘clean’ that climb.

DT78
    Free Member

Clean? Do you mean Cwmcarn? I always thought whites was pretty easy technically, and when you have a half decent bike and fitness great fun, you can proper motor up it. If you ride it with a 40lb vp free with triples it is not quite so much fun….

It is a shame what has happened at afan. I was in Wales for a weekend last month. Drove past afan to Brecfa even though it is another hour or so drive. Then back past it again for 3 laps of Cwmcarn….they need to sort it properly given the choice in the area now

Paceman
    Free Member

Has the original White’s Level climb re-opened?

Good news if they can get it back to anyhting like it was before, I love the leg-burning challenge of that climb.

granny_ring

No, the zig zag climb of the Whites level is what I never managed to ‘clean’ and it was I’ll do you next time you bastid 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

Was my fav climb as well. All singletrack, and pretty much all in forest to offer some shelter and ambiance. I was there a few months ago (before it got reopened) and its all bald. Therefore it was never going to be as it once was. Damn shame, although they have plans on planting some new trees that will not get forested (although disease would probably wipe ’em out).
    The replacement climb up Darkside was good fun though! Climbing the drops was a challenge 🙂

timbo678
    Free Member

I rode it on Saturday – old climb was open and bottom half is treeless which isn’t as nice as before but is still fine. In fairness the muddy section has a sign before it saying that they are sorry and are resurfacing it soon so cannot complain too much!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You’re mad riding XC trail bikes if you don’t enjoy climbing. Whites was a better flowing climb that carn, although I like carn too for its interest. Whites always had better overall descents too.

richwales

the really muddy bit was about 200 yards and rideable. no drama!!

philwarren11
    Free Member

We talking about the muddy bit by the fire road in the middle that was there before it shut? I used to bypass that by riding down the small fire road.

I dont get why people stay away from afan, yes whites was diverted, was still awesome even with the diversion in place, darkside as a climb is alright and the new descent is super fast. Windy point, which is hands down the best section of trail in any south wales trail centre is untouched and energy is still the same.

wrecker
    Free Member

I used to go to Afan around once a month, but I think I’ve been once this year. I think it suffering from stagnation a little. Aside from the bike parky bit at the top of the wall (which is usually full to bursting with people who’ve driven up there), it’s not been improved for years. The only changes have been necessities due to felling etc, which has not resulted in the trails being improved. We’ve been promised a new Penhydd for about 4 years, which it appears is now coming but I’m worried that it’ll just be another unchallenging smoothed out blue, no hidden valley either. Looking forward to seeing the new Blade trail though, are there any pics of it yet?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Now, I’m not one of nature’s born climbers, but even I liked that old climb!

Last trip to Afan was in the summer. Wasn’t that whelmed, sadly. The bike park bit at the top is OK. Ish. Not worth a trip on its own, as seems to be the case for some people.

We did have a blast on the 4X track, at the end of the day though. 4 of us, hooning around and giggling like fools. Was almost like being in Dirt! 🙂

Re Afan overall…With Brechfa offering all it does, BPW giving an interesting alternative (and with some BIG plans for the future), and even CC being just there as well, it needs to start competing to get people there. There’s now so much choice in the area that Afan is looking a little weak right now. A shame, as I used to love a weekend there. Whites/Wall before lunch, then a schlep back up the climb for the shortcut (July?) to the end of Skyline. Hangover day on the Penhydd after that!

Here’s hoping Afan can come back. And come back stronger.

philwarren11
    Free Member

The photos i’ve seen of Blade looks like a bermfest. Make of that as you will but personally i cant wait for it, especially as i can get to it from the Rhigos top.

richmars

Disappointed.
    I thought this was a thread about white (the colour) levels in RIP (raster image processing) software.

SOAP
    Free Member

I love Afan!
    Learn to ride faster and anywhere is good if your Ragging it downhill.
    I’m sure the climb will be just as challenging and good as before.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Went to Afan yesterday – fireroad loop on the cx – and could not belive the clear felling that has gone on in advance of the wind farm. It lookes like a moonscape. Very sad. Saying that most of the original Skyline farside (Excalibor etc) looks rideable still so might go back for that whilst it still exists. Afan mtb routes have a worn out feel about them.

mrmo
    Free Member

out of interest, at what point is the Skyline officially shut? Just wondering if you look at the trail map do you reach July??? go further?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shame. I loved the whites climb, and every time I ride somewhere with miles of dull fire road climbing it made me love it that bit more. All builders out there, please don’t forget the ups!

Paceman
    Free Member

Afan mtb routes have a worn out feel about them.

This makes them feel more like natural trails, a good thing in my opinion, i’m not a big fan of the the new-style kitty-litter surfaced and engineered trails.

Nipper99
    Free Member

no – just makes it feel like worn out trail centre!

Andy

Hmmm loved that climb. Sky did as well 8)

Edric64
    Free Member

40lb vp free with triples it is not quite so much fun… What does this mean ?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Quite possibly the only climb I have enjoyed.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Done it again today, apart from the bog/unfinished section its not that bad. Not all the trees have been cut down, probably about 2/3 i reckon.

The rest is still awesome as usual.

singletrackmind

IIRC Andy you didnt enjoy the boardwalk sections quite as much. ouch .

orangeboy
    Free Member

40lb vp free with triples it is not quite so much fun… What does this mean ?

Vp free is a big dh bike
    40lb is the weight
    Triples are triple clamp forks

Basically the least up hill friendly sort of bike

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘RIP Whites level.’ is closed to new replies.