Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • RIP Terry Callier
  • AlexSimon

http://www.gigwise.com/news/77314/snow-patrol-charlatans-and-more-pay-tribute-to-terry-callier

So blessed to have seen him play a few times. I’ll never forget those.

When Eddie Piller at Acid Jazz Records tracked him down and resurrected his music career, it really was a gift.

I was going to post my fav track from youtube, but I think I’ll just go and have a quiet listen instead.

Wow – Just about all my 70s musical heroes are gone now. Just Herbie Hancock and Stevie Wonder to go just about. Man.

RIP

somafunk

Aww no!……that just **** me right off when theres so many talentless idiots still alive, just goes to show there is no god.

The Gilles Peterson show on 6music Sat should be worth listening to (for all the wrong reasons unfortunately).

Seeing i’m doing paperwork at home all afternoon i declare it “Terry Callier Monday” , time to open the windows and educate the neighbours….till it gets too cold then i’ll shut them again.

AlexSimon

time to open the windows and educate the neighbours

lol

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I really liked him as a musician and as a human being .When he was on in Manchester several years ago I went for a piss and walked into his dressing room by mistake .He was meditatiing , looked up smiled and waved as I backed out the door .

joolsburger
    Free Member

Been listening to him since the 80’s time for the dancing girl tonight. Damn shame.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

” ordinary joe ” and a big blub at my house

somafunk

Unfortunately the neighbours only got educated for an all to brief 3 song medley as it’s bloody freezin out there in darkest Galloway and my stove is not fitted yet, but my neighbour came across to see what all the fuss was about, he’s an ageing hippy who stays across the close and grows his own so to speak in his poly tunnel so we raised a tot of balvenie and toasted the most “extra” ordinary soulful joe at full blast. T’was a nice touch indeed.

RIP Terry,

cinnamon_girl

That’s sad. 🙁 Really enjoyed his tracks with Beth Orton.

rewski
    Free Member

Very sad, let’s hear some.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0YwWU5wdEo[/video]

AlexSimon

This is the first one I went and put on. I just think it’s stunning in every way:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvcNUEVfwOg[/video]

flip
    Free Member

Fantastic artist, very underrated, listen to this without a tear in your eye…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Si0iDSTIFs&playnext=1&list=PL1846FA655F353A34&feature=results_video[/video]

joolsburger
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY2VfzBWKXM[/video]

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Terrible news – one of the greatest soul voices.

I only saw him one at the Jazz Cafe – Terry was fantastic – people crying in the audience – an honor to have seen him, as is listening to any of his tracks/albums (Dolphins excluded…)

Really enjoyed his tracks with Beth Orton.

Unfortunately Beth Orton was also at that gig I saw at the Jazz Cafe – a real lowlight of the night, not helped by them singing that awful Dolphins track. Luckily she only did one other track.

Beth was so underwhelming imho, and that is being (very) kind to her – completely outclassed by the company she was in.

I can’t understand who thought she was a good match to sing with Terri – maybe someone said “Get Beth Gibbons” but it was noisy and the A&R guy misheard and thought they said “Get Beth Orton” – that’s the only explanation I can think of that doesn’t risk being moderated.

AlexSimon

Ha – I always thought that about Orton too – never really known what the fuss was about (if there was one).

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

This news has the same sad feeling about it as when I heard that Phyllis Hyman had committed suicide.

And for some reason started me thinking about Frankie Beverley and his mortality. I think it is because I wanted to take my wife to see the ‘glory’ of Terri in concert, and I have already dragged her to a Maze concert, although sadly Frankie’s voice seemed worse for wear at that time, a bit like Dionne Warwick on TV the other day.

AlexSimon

I have to admit, Gil Scott-Heron’s death made me think a lot more. Just the struggle in his life left more of a ‘what if’ question in my mind.

In comparison, I think TC had a pretty straightforward life, although I was surprised at his age – I assumed older.

corroded
    Free Member

I had the privilege of interviewing him many years ago. Truly one of the nicest, most grounded guys I’ve ever met. And he shouted me tickets and drinks at a Jazz Cafe gig… not that I’m biased or anything.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think Beth orton got where she was via her association with William Orbit who produced her first album [ and the best by a long way ] I went to see her on tour on the strength of it and she couldn’t sing for toffees

noteeth
    Free Member

A great voice & a great musician.

What colour is love will be on heavy rotation.

AlexSimon

Wow – just noticed this. Thanks DezB

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘RIP Terry Callier’ is closed to new replies.