Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • RIP Pete's Eats – The resurrection
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Just heard it has/is closed down. Spent many a happy post ride in there.
    https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item/71308/petes_eats_in_llanberis_closes_down

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Any reasons given? Where did you hear the news?

martinhutch

Genuinely gutted if this is true. I know it was only the shadow of its former self, but that’s another bit of my history gone… 🙁

Not even time to nip back for a final Sausage, Egg, Chips and Beans with a pint of tea.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sorry stealth edit

allfankledup

A brilliant establishment – great memories of taking my kids there – really sorry to see it close down 🙁

wordnumb
    Free Member

Great shame, PE has been there almost as long as the mountain.

martinhutch

Oookay then? I is now confused. 🙂

Drac

That didn’t take long to sort the issues out.

whitestone
    Free Member

Sad to see it go (if true).

Pete must be close to or past retirement age now anyway.

Yak

Boo 🙁

It stays? Hooray 🙂

What’s happening here then? Tbh, I have not been since my regular climbing days, but always assumed that once my kids were more capable, we would be back climbing in the pass followed by chips n’cheese and pints of tea.

martinhutch

It’s still bad news though. I want a fry-up now. 🙂

Yak

I had to downgrade from the big fry-up to the small one. I couldn’t climb after the big one.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Blimey. Quick fix. Hopefully it will remain, and supply many more brews.

GrahamS

Nearly spat my coffee out…

durhambiker
    Free Member

Once spent a long afternoon in there drinking pint after pint of tea after doing my final 3 dives for my BSAC Ocean Diver qual in Vivian. The instructor used the excuse of us needing to off-gas a bit before heading over Llanberis Pass to go back home. Was also in there several times over the course of the weekend a couple of weeks back whilst crewing at the Brutal triathlons consuming much tea and scoffing giant breakfasts. Hopefully it remains!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Would hate to think of snowdonia without pete’s eats in it. It seemed all the more surprising because I can’t recall any time I’ve been in there and not had to queue, it seems to have a perpetual throughput of customers.

nickc

Last time I was there, (18 months or so ago) I didn’t need to queue.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

The UKC post has been taken down and the UKC forum post discussing it has been locked? Strange goings on.

martinhutch

Obviously a bit embarrassing for UKC to run it as a formal news story without contacting the great man himself.

edlong
    Free Member

Fake news!

mugsys_m8

Yeah but no but yeah but no but…Chile and Chips and a pint of tea please.

globalti
    Free Member

The Heights hotel used to be as much of an institution. Is it still?

aracer
    Free Member

Viral marketing

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Is it just me, or is it really not all that?

Went in there last summer after a night bivvying. Coffee was horrible, chips were soggy, none of the rest of it was anything special and the service went straight past “characterful” to “downright surly”.

I’d certainly be looking actively to NOT go there next time I need food in Llanberis. Seems very much to be trading on past glories.

durhambiker
    Free Member

The cafe across the road from the Electric Mountain visitor centre is good for all day breakfasts. Not cheap, but you get a (large) plateful and better quality than at Pete’s too.

RustySpanner

Was in there on Tuesday.

Had the burger meal, ‘er indoors had the liver and bacon, both spot on.

They certainly didn’t look like they were closing down……

JonEdwards – Member

Depends who’s on.
    🙂

The chippy’s open again but Georgios Ice Cream place is only now open weekends ’till spring.

The kebab place is actually quite good, Spice of Llanberis might have to up their game.

The bomb store is open at the mo, well worth a visit.

durhambiker
    Free Member

+1 for the kebab shop.

nickc

nope not just you, it’s just a boggo cafe, but there’s **** all else in Llanberis!

scruff
    Free Member

I appreciate the history and it’s character but it’s a bog standard cafe apart from that.

allthepies
    Free Member

Ended up with food poisoning from an Indian restaurant in Llanberis once, wiped out most of a long weekends biking 😡

Keva
    Free Member

nope not just you, it’s just a boggo cafe, but there’s **** all else in Llanberis!

exactly my thoughts when I went in there earlier on this year. Much preferred it in The Heights, the pub at the end of the road.

RustySpanner

Gallt y Glyn’s nice, the pizza and a pint place opposite DMM.

Y Caban in Brynrefail at the west end of the lake is quality, as is Lodge Dinorwic at the top of the Fachwen.

All on winter hours for food at the mo, but all excellent places to eat.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Last time I went in the Heights it was quite nice, they had a band and good beer. Not like it used to be when you’d have pissed up Llanberis locals up the tree in front of it, shouting and dropping pint glasses onto the pavement/passers by. Happy days ! 😆

johnnystorm

Oh yeah, the heights is properly posh now, all stripped pine and craft beer! 😆

thegeneralist
    Free Member

the heights is properly posh now,

Last time I went in there me and a mate had a great evening playing pool with some locals. Or at least I thought we did.

As we left there was a group from Liverpool Uni in a minibus so we blagged a lift back to Nant Peris with them. As did a couple of other friends who had walked out of the pub behind a large group of local ****.

As they walked behind the group of locals they could hear their discussion about when to jump the two English blokes and kick the shit out of them (us). Apparently they were deeply pissed when they saw us getting on the bus.

Thank gawd for the scousers.

martinhutch

Has the Heights still got that shit climbing wall/gimp dungeon round the back?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘RIP Pete's Eats – The resurrection’ is closed to new replies.