Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • RIP Paul Elvstrom – Almost singlehandedly changed Sailing.
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

The legendary Danish sailor Paul Elvstrom sadly passed away on 7 December at the age of 88 in Hellerup, Denmark, surrounded by his family.

At some point each one of us Salty Sea types would have picked up at least one of his books.

We learned a lot, we got wet.

RIP Paul.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bugger.
    I sailed with him a couple of times in the early 70s. A top bloke and I’m sure every dingy racer had a copy of this:

zanelad
    Free Member

A true sailing legend in my view. Perhaps the first to approach sailing in a profssional way. Not for money, but in his desire and will to win. Always a good competitor too.

I read the 2 books I have that he’s written, more than any other of my sailing books.

A great loss to sailing and sport in general.

matt_outandabout

What a legend in sailing.
    I grew up reading a couple of books.
    Rip

jambalaya
    Free Member

Absolute legend in the sport. This quote is his best known and one that has always resonated with me and many others

You haven’t won the race, if in winning the race you have lost the respect of your competitors

@eddie you are a fortunate man to have done so

Greybeard
    Free Member

A great man. The quote I remember is from when he was asked how he’d won a race early in his career:

The others, they were too slowly

Plus accidentally “inventing” weight jackets, by falling in on a cold winter day wearing multiple woollen sweaters. RIP.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Four Olympic golds including one in Torquay in a Firwly when they sailed them as single handers.

mrmoofo

great man and sailing oracle …
    I used to sail a Firefly single handed – I was pretty damned good in it as well ….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘RIP Paul Elvstrom – Almost singlehandedly changed Sailing.’ is closed to new replies.