Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rip off tradesmen..
  • elzorillo
    Free Member

Seen a few threads on tradesmen recently and got me thinking of my experience..

I have an old victorian semi.. Previous owners had converted the attic and put a floor in 25+ years ago, but the job wasnt great and the insulation inside the roof consisted of some polystyrene type tiles nailed to the inside roof.

Roof had seen better days anyway so I decided to go the whole hog and get the roof replaced and at the same time get the sagging perlings replaced/re-enforced with proper steel jobs.

Got a few quotes and decided to pick a local roofing firm whose quote was middle of the road. They seemed well established ie see their vans about regular and they’ve had an ad in the paper for ages.

Anyway.. the day came.. they turned up. On their recommendation (bad move) I had all the slate replaced with this slate epoxy mix of interlocking tiles. Looks like slate but a bugger to replace one if it gets broken (which I did when I fitted the stove flue recently!!). I was very busy with work and each night had a quick look over the job but trusted them. As the job progressed I noticed the steel just laying there on the floor. I questioned them a couple of times but they assured me it would go in at some stage. The steel disappeared… job was completed.. lagging plastering firm came in and completed inside. Everyone was paid.

First time it rained, water poured in from numerous locations. I called the roofer who came out and ‘fixed’ it. Next time it rained same again. I called roofer.. he came and assured me it was all fixed. I accepted mistakes can happen and paid for the damaged plastering to be replaced myself.

Next time it rained.. More water.. Again called roofer who realised that flashing around velux windows had been fitted underlapping instead of over so rain was just pouring into the roofspace.

Then water started coming in at other locations.. above the newly plastered bathroom.. down the inside of chimney into bedrooms/livingroom. By now both me and the roofer were getting pretty angry at the situation.

I cut my losses and called another roofing firm. Turned out he had used the old lead which was all split. Not only that, some of it didnt even reach under the tiles so rain was just pouring into the roof space all over the place. I paid a couple of grand to have it all replaced. Since then no leaks. Unfortunately.. The new roofer told me that it was the worst job he had ever seen.. worse still.. the steel I’d paid for hadnt even been put in. To correct the sag, the ‘roofer’ had put some tile latts on top of the sagging perlings.

Of course it’s my word against his, and the only proof I have of the non-fitted steel are some photos I took of the job in progress where the steel can be seen laying on the floor.

This was 8/9 years ago and every time I drive down the street I glance at that roof and shudder. Although there has been no sagging or cracks in the plaster, it was a waste of a substantial amount of money as the whole job really will need doing again should I want to sell the house.

Lesson learned.. never assume the tradesman is doing a good job.!

martinhutch

Why was it your word against his? You had photos, the other roofer, and could have had a surveyor in to list all the defects.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Why was it your word against his? You had photos, the other roofer, and could have had a surveyor in to list all the defects.

To be honest.. I was so drained by the whole experience that I just wanted to forget about him.

FOG

Garages are my favourite. My son’s car just failed the MoT and was quoted £315 to do the work necessary.He then took it to my local ‘dad and lad’ garage and he did it for £160, nearly half!

wwaswas

and then, to cap it all, you post a rant in the wrong forum 🙁

elzorillo
    Free Member

and then, to cap it all, you post a rant in the wrong forum

On my comp I get all posts in one list and one option to add topic.. Maybe I’m viewing from the wrong location in the forum.

footflaps

There is a combobox thing at the bottom to select which forum to post in…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rip off tradesmen..’ is closed to new replies.