Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • RIP Jobst Brandt
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

That is an extreme lean angle 😯

RIP.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I think his femur is longer than my whole leg.

duncan

Loved his style. He will continue to inspire anyone who reads what he had to say on bikes and biking for many years to come. Riding road bikes off-road, big days in the alps, lightweight touring, proper wheels, questioning marketing nonsense, all good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And I thought my picture of him was cool.

WOW!

orangeboy
    Free Member

His wheel book sits next to the my battered sutherlands binder at work.

MrTricky
    Free Member

His book is in my wheel build box under the tv – has given hours of stress relief/pleasure in building many pairs of wheels of all sizes, from skinny to fat, off road and on, to the point where my lbs asked me to build some for them.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, I have his book too of course. Also remember a bunch of discussions/arguments with him way back in the ’90s when I was an annoying kid getting into bike design. He was right of course, but always willing to educate.

RIP.

TiRed

RIP. Another of my early usenet heroes gone. Like Sheldon, a cyclist you only needed to know by first name. 🙁

gary

Another of my early usenet heroes gone. Like Sheldon, a cyclist you only needed to know by first name

+1. I remember so many “lively” debates unfolding on USENET back in the day, and so many things learned from the knowledge that he, Sheldon and others would share. Where do we get a new generation of cantankerous internet curmudgeons from?

DezB
    Free Member

Another of my early usenet heroes gone

Yeah. Learned so much in those early days of the net from Jobst. Didn’t realise he was that old. RIP.

JAG

Where do we get a new generation of cantankerous internet curmudgeons from?

You don’t really need to ask that do you 😆 😛

gary

Where do we get a new generation of cantankerous internet curmudgeons from?

You don’t really need to ask that do you [/quote]

Ah, I probably meant “cantankerous but knowledgeable” 🙂

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

RIP to the master of wheel building. Built my first wheel 20 yrs ago with his book. Iv used the same book to teach loads of kids that passed through over time. Legend.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Two arguments I remember giving up on in rec.bikes, as he seemed to disregard copious evidence;

He claimed it was impossible to recover from a 2 wheel slide, and

It was impossible for a thorn to pierce a tyre.

A legend (got the book next to me) but not infallible. Which made him all the more interesting to engage with.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘RIP Jobst Brandt’ is closed to new replies.