Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rip in side wall of a road tyre. What's the best bodge.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Got to the bottom of my road today and found a rip in the side wall of my conti GP4000s and a lot of air leaking out. I have patched it up with a patch and some emery cloth (strong none flexi material to stop the bulge) but is there a more permanent fix or should I just bit the bullet and get a new one.?

STATO
    Free Member

Get a new one, high pressure and damaged tyre = painful future

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sew it with dental floss, patch in the inside with a large puncture repair patch

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Get a new one, high pressure and damaged tyre = painful future

That’s what I was thinking. Always bodged MTB ones but I’m a bit worried about doing the same with a road tyre.

irc

No idea how repairable it was but riding a tyre I’d sewn up at 40mph downhill doesn’t appeal to me. Either it works and you’ve saved a few quid or it fails very painfully. Your choice?

Radioman

New tyre! 100 psi can explode , bad to fall on roads too, ESP with cars around.

stevie750

Had a GP 4 seasons with a rip. Used a tyre boot to repair. Only took a few rides for the boot to fail. Did it again (had no money to buy a new one and payday was a couple of weeks away), this time it went pop as I was riding along road

globalti
    Free Member

Jesus, I’ve just replaced a newish tyre with a 3mm glass cut and just one thread in the carcass cut through. I simply do not want to be in any doubt about it.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I’d definately be looking to replace at first opportunity for all reasons above – but the best bodge has to be a folded tenner between tube and tyre

sputnik
    Free Member

Depends on the size of the cut. Superglue makes cuts vanish, serious, you will find it almost impossible to find the cut once its been superglued properly. Obviously not a ten inch rip, but globati , 3mm glass cut can be fixed.

RickyRah
    Free Member

I’ve know of someone who’s sewn up a tear in the sidewall of a GP4000s. It’s been fine since but I’m not sure I’d like to try it. I would say that if you’re going to do it, put it on the back.

STATO
    Free Member

Its worth noting that tubular tyres are sewn up along their entire length and they hold to 200psi! However as i said, a rip is a bit different and id question the longevity of a repair in a place where it could be damaged again.

hazeii
    Free Member

Park tyre boots seem to work well; currently running one inside a badly cut Gatorskin (roadside fix) to see how long it lasts.

Paper money is a reasonable alternative (retains its strength when wet).

Sandwich

Stato, the difference is that they are designed to be tubular and the stitching is against the rim, with glue holding it on. No on an unsupported very flexible sidewall.

oldgit
    Free Member

Anywhere near the bead and bin it

oldgit
    Free Member

My last one on a nearly new tyre, luckily I wasn’t going downhill.

eyerideit
    Free Member

A bit of a pop bottle to make a tyre boot works, it’s a ghetto tyre boot.

mudshark
    Free Member

I sewed up a tyre then rode if a few times to show I had faith in my work, now it’s just used on my turbo where it’s doing well.

DezB
    Free Member

Went through this myself. Started a thread, “bin it” said the majority! “Fix it”, said the few..
    Fix attempted, another fix attempted..etc.
    Binned it.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I used a puncture repair patch on the inside of the tyre and superglue on the outside to repair a pro 3 race. I’m fairly okay with it on the rear but wouldn’t use it on the front. It’s in the spares box as an emergency tyre that I would use for a couple of days maybe if I had to wait for a new tyre.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

you’re mad to consider anything but a get-you-home fix imo, would be very difficult to keep the tyre shape even without the safety risk or inconvenience of it blowing 30 miles out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP tubeless patches don’t stretch and may work.

May be no logic in it but I’m wary of fixing slashes in HP tyres.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rip in side wall of a road tyre. What's the best bodge.?’ is closed to new replies.