Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • RIP Ian Maclagan and Bobby Keys
  • instanthit
    Free Member

Just heard of the deaths of both these fine musicians, will be sadly missed, but their legacy and influence will continue to shine brightly. Managed to see Ian live this year and met him afterwards, great bloke.
    One of his stories was of gate crashing a Bob Dylan party with Ronnie Wood, then falling asleep on George Harrison’s shoulder, needless to say he was not sober.

BillMC

Keys on Can’t you hear me knocking and Exile was sublime.

gordimhor

Sorry to hear about Maclagan especially I was a late convert to the Faces who were a great band. Now off to Google Bobby Keys

DezB
    Free Member

Oh wow, 2 wonderful musicians. 69 & 70 years old, no age to go.

RIP

Pigface
    Free Member

Heard about this today, not good. RIP

jamj1974

Very sad. Both made some brilliant records. The Small Faces (one of my favourite bands of all time) are almost reunited…

neilthewheel

Oh woe. sadly jamj1974, that’s true. Kenny Jones must be nervous. I saw Ian Maclagan when he was in Bob Dylan’s band on the Infidels tour in Newcastle, 1984. I read in his autobiography that he was mystified at being invited but his keyboard sound was all his own.

jamj1974

Fingers crossed for Kenney – he my be in his sixties but he still has at least one child under 20…

DezB
    Free Member

Decided to put a vid on here. Literally brought tears to my eyes.

[video]http://youtu.be/6vWTtx_PxPo[/video]

jamj1974

Fantastic Dez B! Spent many nights dancing to that one!

hunterst
    Free Member

Tin soldier is one of my all time top tunes from a great band.
    Steve marriott looks cool as .. here – weller keeps the marriott flame alive with his style of playing and was obviously a huge fan.

pp arnold doing a fine job on backing vocals and was something of a babe too. 😀

rip Mac

failedengineer

Small Faces! Best ‘pop’ band ever! Tin soldier, Afterglow and All or Nothing, 3 of the best pop songs ever written, IMHO.

I agree with the Paul Weller comment – he shamelessly apes Steve Marriott. Can’t sing or play as good as SM, though.

DezB
    Free Member

Small Faces! Best ‘pop’ band ever!

I’d go along with that. 🙂

jamj1974

The Small Faces are just one of the finest bands of all time. Paul Weller still clearly in awe of Steve and Steve one of the original purveyors of homegrown soul music. I would add Universal and Ogdens Nut Gone Flake as two of their other best tracks.

DezB
    Free Member

..and Son of a Baker

failedengineer

and many more. Have you heard their cover of ‘If I were a Carpenter’?

What about Steve Marriott’s Packet of 3? How good were they? Humble Pie weren’t bad either.

jamj1974

^^. Yep both pretty fine.

This is also another cracker [video]http://youtu.be/VeSt_D97hgA[/video]

jamj1974

Not The Small Faces and 90’s rather than 60’s but did anyone else like these? [video]http://youtu.be/U67s-XXMisY[/video]

pb2

Stairs good find, just bought the album. You should give Shack a listen, another great Liverpool band who did not quite make it only this time around it was drink, drugs and depression that scuppered the good ship Shack

jamj1974

The Stairs are really good – a friend of mine bought me a single back in about ’92 and I bought all their available stuff off the back of if and listened ever since. Shack are a great almost unsung band. The Chameleons are another too.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/3vtILjo26ew[/video]
    A bit of Bobby for balance.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘RIP Ian Maclagan and Bobby Keys’ is closed to new replies.