Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • RIP Chester Bennington Linking Park
  • edlong
    Free Member

Although clearly very successful (did I hear “70M albums sold” on the radio this morning?) I think there are lots of people who aren’t Linkin Park fans (count me as one) who thought he was not only a damn fine singer, but also that he seemed like a really decent human being.

While I won’t be listening to any LP, I had a few of his other performances up on YouTube last night.

RIP

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Listening to One more light today with a strange perspective into the lyrics 🙁

RIP

jimjam
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member

Not a Linkin’ Park fan, but it’s another likely preventable death of a middle aged man that is related to mental health. I think in ours and certainly American culture, that the general population still lack awareness and capability to deal with mental health issues.

Genuine question, are there other cultures that deal better with mental health issues?

I was never a Linkin Park fan, just a little to old metal when nu metal came out but the guy could sing and they certainly seemed like one of the more genuine bands to come out of that movement.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Such sad news to hear, makes a number of his lyrics all the more haunting now.

jamj1974

Genuine question, are there other cultures that deal better with mental health issues?

I’m not sure, this is the culture I have most experience of…

noshki

The first CD my son ever had was by Linkin Park (Transformers film fan) one which he would listen to on repeat, so they’ll always be part of the soundtrack of his childhood. Always sad when your heroes can be so fragile.

atlaz
    Free Member

Probably there’s lots of countries that do it better than the UK and lots that do it worse. Something is definitely wrong where men are concerned though.

From the Guardian:

Female suicides in 1981- 2466
    Female suicides in 2012 – 1391

Male suicides in 1981 – 4129
    Male suicides in 2012 – 4590

Horrifying.

jimjam
    Free Member

atlaz – Member

Probably there’s lots of countries that do it better than the UK and lots that do it worse. Something is definitely wrong where men are concerned though.

Looking at the WHO list on wikipedia it appears the UK is actually one of the better places to be regarding suicide rates (123 out of 183 countries listed). It didn’t surprise me at all to see that Ireland was 63rd on the list.

Suicide in the U.S ( also from wikipedia )

The annual age-adjusted suicide rate is 13.26 per 100,000 individuals.

Men die by suicide 3.5x more often than women.

Women attempt suicide 3x more often than men.

On average, there are 121 suicides per day.

White males accounted for 7 of 10 suicides in 2015.

Firearms account for almost 50% of all suicides.

The rate of suicide is highest in middle age—white men in particular.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Had this video pop up on my YouTube feed from an interview with him earlier this year, it’s quite sad now listening back to the things he was saying 😥

[video]https://youtu.be/ZC_-zeWYMYo[/video]

I haven’t listened to any of their recent stuff but hybrid theory and meteora where always in my car to listen to back in the early 2000’s.

And the cover of Adele’s rolling in the deep is better than the original in my opinion 8)

newrobdob
    Free Member

I often read these sorts of threads and worry. I don’t know how to look out for signs of depression/mental issues which might lead to this sort of thing. And I think that’s the same for most people. How can you tell? I want to find out how to spot these sorts of things as I think I should educate myself so I’m not one of those people who lose a close friend and say afterwards “I never knew anything was wrong”.

jimjam
    Free Member

I don’t know that you would unless you were a very close friend or family member. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t try of course but my understanding is that people are very good at hiding things.

I read a quote from Chester on another forum regarding his drug use. I can’t find it now but something along the lines of “wake up, smoke meth, smoke crack, be paranoid all day then smoke opium to deal with the paranoia”.

greentricky
    Free Member

Was sad to hear this as recently got my eleven year daughter into linkin park and she has been loving the angst in thier music. Thought it might be a band we could go and see together. I guess not now but his legacy lives on, still providing an outlet for others feelings in his music

whitestone
    Free Member

Very sad when someone carries such demons and doesn’t know or perhaps trust anyone to help.

Until yesterday when a work colleague mentioned Chester’s death, I’d never heard of Linkin Park. I’ve no idea if I’ve ever heard any of their music. Reading the BBC piece I realised that I’d never heard of the term/genre “rap metal” either.

jimjam
    Free Member

whitestone

Until yesterday when a work colleague mentioned Chester’s death, I’d never heard of Linkin Park. I’ve no idea if I’ve ever heard any of their music.

I’m sure you’ve heard them, they were an absolutely massive band and got a lot of mainstream radio play as well as featuring on tons of film and game sountracks. 72 credits according to imdb.

Reading the BBC piece I realised that I’d never heard of the term/genre “rap metal” either.

“Nu metal” would have been the more common phrase, but nu metal or rap metal were only really relevant to differentiate the “new” types of metal that emerged in the mid 90s from the more established kinds of metal. Not a phrase or term you would need to use or come across unless you liked “metal” music.

whitestone
    Free Member

I probably have on film soundtracks without realising it. Don’t do computer games (the Halo, Call of Duty type) so unlikely on that score and I’m way outside the target age range of stations like Radio 1. Looking at the list of IMDB credits, I’ve actually only seen one of those films or TV series.

jimjam
    Free Member

So what I think you are trying to say is that you’re not down wiff da yoof? 😉

( And by yoof I mean people in their late 30s or early 40s who were teenagers when Linkin Park hit it big)

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve not been down wid da yoof for thirty or forty years 😳

Back on subject – having been witness to an attempted suicide and known people who’ve committed suicide or the partners of those who have, it’s nearly always come as a shock with little indication from the deceased that anything was wrong.

teasel
    Free Member

Love life because it’s a ‘Castle of Glass’

Tyler

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘RIP Chester Bennington Linking Park’ is closed to new replies.