Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 246 total)
  • RIP 26"
  • fasthaggis

bad dog 😉

matther01
    Free Member

Like all wheels…it’ll all come full circle again.

cookeaa

We’ll see…

toys19
    Free Member

I have no opinion on 26vs27.5vs29 other than, I am short, I often feel like 26 is as big a wheel as I can handle. I fear for my future in this sport if Chipps fortune telling comes true.
    I raised it with Cy a while back and he intimated that yes I would be better off with 26..

tails
    Free Member

I don’t buy it, your average joe who rides an apollo or claud butler does not want to have a million wheel sizes neither do they replace their bike as often as most forum users. So the 26 inch bike is here to stay.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yawn…

Northwind

It’s almost as though the purpose of an editorial is to challenge opinion and provoke debate, innit. Load of shit obviously but that’s what pays the bills.

matther01
    Free Member

Toys – cy sent out an email stating he will continue with 26…but didn’t rule out 27.5 (he is a businessman after all)

aracer
    Free Member

Is somebody keeping count of the number of threads on this?

I’ll believe it when On-One start selling 650B 27.5 slightly oversize wheels and tyres.

scotroutes

To match the slightly oversize seat-tubes?

toys19
    Free Member

Matther01, agreed and I reviewed what he said and have now edited my post to remove small man syndrome…
    NW – yep clickbait methinks..

big_n_daft
    Free Member

26 won’t die, it may go into remission but people will still want to buy it

I own 2 29ers and a 69er and wouldn’t every touch one again personnally but plenty of people will still love them

pjm84
    Free Member

I have no opinion on 26vs27.5vs29 other than, I am

tall so need to ride a 29er otherwise it just looks silly.

Northwind
    It’s almost as though the purpose of an editorial is to challenge opinion and provoke debate, innit. Load of shit obviously but that’s what pays the bills

Agreed

andytherocketeer

your average joe who rides an apollo or claud butler does not want to have a million wheel sizes

They’ll buy a bike and not care 2 hoots about the wheel size. If that’s 27.5/650b, then that’s what they’ll buy. Just liek they don’t care or won’t even know what headset size, BB type, etc. is installed either.

26in bits will be around for years. Just like 9sp and 8sp, and 7sp components.

It’s almost as if a bit of marketing hype means every enthusiast is forced to ditch their entire bike collection and replace with new ones, instantly. Now.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Yup, 26″ will go the way of 8-speed, V-brakes, and square taper.

Still here, available new, and used by millions

dyna-ti

Guaranteed to wash clothes brighter than before 😉

JCL
    Free Member

Do you think manufacturers will produce new model forks, tires, and rims for 26″? Not a chance. It’ll just be limited supply of what we have now and probably lower spec stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you think manufacturers will produce new model forks, tires, and rims for 26″?

If they are selling then yes. Having been out with 10 people I haven’t ridden with before this weekend all bar 1 were on 26″ bikes, most under 2 years old. There is plenty of market left out there, it’s just the New Clothes brigade are shouting from the roof tops trying to be heard more.

bigrich

I just bought a 26″ hans dampf for 20 bucks. sweet. let the trendies pay through the nose for the new stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just bought a 26″ hans dampf for 20 bucks

Got more to do with having a currency thats worth something Rich…

rOcKeTdOg

So if i put a 27.5″ wheel on the front & 26″ on the back what do i call it (insert comedy answer here) as 69er is not correct?

Bit of a worry on the 26″ R&D i’d have thought, 26 will be around just low end or present stuff to keep the supermarket/sportsdirect level of buyer happy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So if i put a 27.5″ wheel on the front & 26″ on the back what do i call it (insert comedy answer here) as 69er is not correct?

******?
    Zero Clearance?

JCL
    Free Member

Bit of a worry on the 26″ R&D i’d have thought, 26 will be around just low end or present stuff to keep the supermarket/sportsdirect level of buyer happy

I think you’re absolutely right.

rOcKeTdOg

Zero Clearance?

In a 29er fork?, i doubt it 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

as long as I can still get hold of 26 rims it’ll be an age before I got to 27.5.. just spent £800 on 26″ forks was thinking they’d Last a while yet…

🙁

mrmoofo

Is there ar recession on?
    Are marketing mean trying to find “white space”

In the words of David Bowie

“Fa-fa-fa-fa- fashion”

Or Paul Weller

“The public wants what the public gets”

If you really want 650b – just stick it in the 26er frame and be done with it.

Ironically, it does seem to be an admission that the 29ers appeal is limited … depite the last 3 years of gushing reviews about how they ride themselves up hills, and are faster than the speed of light, all supported by rubbish explainations of physics ….

ruffride
    Free Member

At least you will be able to build a sweet bike with awesome spec for a good price then as when it doesn’t sell we all reap the benefits well if u still ride bikes an dont buy in to what a mag says

nickc

The 29er backwash starts here..?

grum
    Free Member

I think you’re absolutely right.

Why are you two so insanely pleased about this? It’s a victory for marketing and yet another pointless new standard.

asterix
    Free Member

all supported by rubbish explainations of physics ….

Yeh and I guess unsurprisingly They never did manage to come up with anything convincing from the physics to show 29er was faster did they HaHa

Kryton57

Why are you two so insanely pleased about that? It’s a victory for marketing and yet another pointless new standard.

+1. I do believe any review if note has mentioned that its neither here more there performance wise. I’m not convinced by the marketing and (perhaps luckily) I’m not on the position to jump on the bandwagon.

Consumable parts (bottom brackets, disc pads) will be available for ages and the length of my fork won’t change there ability to be serviced.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Why are you two so insanely pleased about this? It’s a victory for marketing and yet another pointless new standard.

The fact we don’t don’t ride the same bikes as we did 20 years is a victory for “marketing”.

grum
    Free Member

The fact we don’t don’t ride the same bikes as we did 20 years is a victory for “marketing”.

What? 😕

Lots of great developments in bike technology over the last 20 years, tiny changes to wheel size isn’t one of them.

slackalice
    Free Member

Uh oh… More wheel size fear, loathing, mistrust and individual resolve not to be undone or perceived to be wrong, come to the fore…. It’s attitudes and reactions like this that has made this country what it is 😉

As has been noted previously by a few, ride your bike, have fun; spend your hard earned money on what you want to and try not to get too worked up about what or what might not be available in the years ahead, for they might not happen and tis surely better to live today?

Have a great day people 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Lots of great developments in bike technology over the last 20 years, tiny changes to wheel size isn’t one of them

What because it doesn’t affect you? and the boys that bought into the 150mm full suss.

To a tall xc riders like me this is up there with suspension and disc brakes as far as developments go.

20mm extra travel on a full sus – no benefit
    dropper post – no benefit
    super wide bars – no benefit

GEDA
    Free Member

The main thing is that changing standards are a great way for companies to make money. Standard consumerist tactics. The question is if the changes actually make any difference, once the seed of doubt is sowed in your mind that something is slightly better then there is a strong urge to go out and buy new stuff.

I have ordered a 29er but not built it up yet so I am as guilty/gullible as anybody else. In the mean time I am getting a lot better from riding more, building a pumptrack and jumps in the garden but this is making no one any money.

I think since the primary reason for me mountain biking is that it is fun then smoothing everything out is not so important. I ride my hardtail instead of my full suss as it is more fun.

The thing is that smaller wheels and frames will always be lighter, stiffer and stronger. These are the most important factors with a mountain bike that you ride hard up and down. I suppose this is the reason why dirt jump bikes have smaller wheels still and less suspension. I suppose if they can make a bigger wheeled bike as stiff, string and light as you need in the real world then this is not so important.

How much of 29ers going faster is the fact that if you run the same gear range as a 26er you are effectively running higher gears and therefore go faster?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

How much of 29ers going faster is the fact that if you run the same gear range as a 26er you are effectively running higher gears and therefore go faster?

It doesn’t work as simple as that, 29ers roll faster. Once moving less effort is needed.

I think since the primary reason for me mountain biking is that it is fun then smoothing everything out is not so important. I ride my hardtail instead of my full suss as it is more fun

yet you have suspension.

grum
    Free Member

To a tall xc riders like me this is up there with suspension and disc brakes as far as developments go.

20mm extra travel on a full sus – no benefit
    dropper post – no benefit
    super wide bars – no benefit

The difference is you’ll still be able to buy a bike without 20mm extra travel, dropper post and wide bars.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 246 total)

The topic ‘RIP 26"’ is closed to new replies.