• This topic has 35 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Rio Olympic Course Preview
  • njee20
    Free Member

We dun this yet?

Go Pro footage.

Looks similar to London, perhaps with even more ‘abrupt’ features. Quite a bit of bedding in to be done I’m sure. Looks like a lot of elevation considering how flat stuff usually looks on video.

GregMay
    Free Member

That looks like it could be a rather fantastic course!

wwaswas

I like the bit through the golf course and bunkers 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Suitable for a CX bike? 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Probably is, if you can hit all of the apparent gaps between rocks and the trails!

nemesis
    Free Member

Who’s going to be the first STW riding god to claim it’s too easy, XC jey boy, etc?

ferrals
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I get that it has to be built in a specific location and I guess it has to be pretty open for tv/spectators, but that lovechild of a BMX track and a 4x track leaves me cold. I was thinking that there would be some lovely natural stuff they could have included. I guess as the footage is only a minute there may well be.

Certainly agree it looks steep and bits look difficult!

jimster01

Nah, didn’t do it for me. As ferals said, too much like a bmx / 4x track.

The step-down section certainly is “interesting” though, maybe some off-camber rooty bits between features would help.

doom_mountain

Looks fun.
    It’ll be tough at race speed.

Pyro

The jump-island-jump-island bit in the middle makes it looks like they’re riding a crazy golf course…

franksinatra

Nah, didn’t do it for me

only really a problem though if you were to be selected to ride for the olympic team which I assume is unlikely.

Marge
    Free Member

Interesting to see

Looks quite narrow & also rather artificial perhaps

Maybe makes for good racing / TV coverage but I do prefer a course with more natural obstacles.

edhornby

I think it could be a cracker, the only thing it seems not to have is a slog-climb but that may have been edited. does look like the finishing touches still to be done

will be good to see a pro level rider do some flying laps on it

xc-steve
    Free Member

wonder if Team GB will even take a male xc racer

ferrals
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member
    only really a problem though if you were to be selected to ride for the olympic team which I assume is unlikely.

Not really a problem, but a minor shame if you love watching xc racing. Also, if the whole course is like this, for many people it may be the only time they watch any mountain biking as they idly watch the Olympics and I don’t think it gives a good representation of the sport. I’d go so far as to say ‘crazy golf’ type courses make our sport look stupid. Again not a problem exactly, but this is a forum so unsubstantiated opinion rules the day!

Edit.

xc-steve – Member

Grant ferguson one would assume?

njee20
    Free Member

wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t. No Senior men at the worlds again are there?

ferrals
    Free Member

No there aren’t at the worlds, but are there age cats in Olympics?

njee20
    Free Member

No, but nowt to stop you sending an U23 to the Olympics. Like Annie Last in 2012.

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah that’s what I meant, you’ll think they could send grant ferguson for senior men.

Be interesting when more footage appears of this course whether that clip was representative

scotroutes

They do say cycling is the new golf…

manitou
    Free Member

the bunker/island sections.. whats to prevent you just riding round the buggers? 🙂

dantsw13

I imagine the course will be taped?

I go to Rio a lot – quite fancy riding that!!

njee20
    Free Member

Little flag things again prob. Tapes look crap on TV!

molgrips
    Free Member

Are we doomed to have the same argument every 4 years?

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve seen this on a local forum with people claiming all their local ‘trials’ are harder already… I’ll probably be ignoring anything else about it until the day.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Watched it now, looks a bit tame IMO but I guess it’ll be running fast and quick..

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Are we doomed to have the same argument every 4 years?

That’s pretty good going, most topics and arguments just seem to get regurgitated a couple of times a week on any other topic.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

“but nowt to stop you sending an U23 to the Olympics”
    No you right, GB can send a U23 BUT GB need to qualify and get a place first.
    And that be v hard to do when they not sending riders to worlds and other events to get points.

ferrals
    Free Member

Yep if I’ve read facebook reports right team gb don’t have enough points after the worlds to go to the Olympics due to not having a senior rider

ferrals
    Free Member

I heard on the BC piece about Evie Richards that the uk have failed to qualify to send anyone for Rio. Anyone know if this is true? I though qualification was still open? Wouldn’t have thought BC would say that without being certain. Royal f-up by b.c. if true.

taxi25
    Free Member

Can’t you send one per class anyway ? Seem to remember some Ugandan or something guy at London.

ferrals
    Free Member

Nah, you have to qualify, if BC had sent more people to the right events it shouldn’t have been an issue as its the top 20 something that gets to send a rider (or 2 for the best nations)

Trimix
    Free Member

Everyone who looked at the Olympic course in the UK said the same thing.

I rode it and it was much harder than it ever looked online and when I spectated at the games. Almost like it was designed to knacker you and cleverly removed any flow you got, it was all bloody hard work.

Pictures / youtube really dont show how a trail flows or its difficulty/steepness/technicality.

Compared to the UK one I thought it looks fine.

Trimix
    Free Member
    Trimix
    Free Member

This is a good video of the course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JToIw88YEM8

Drac

Everyone who looked at the Olympic course in the UK said the same thing

Same guy is behind it so it has potential.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Rio Olympic Course Preview’ is closed to new replies.