Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rings of Breadalbane cycling routes
  • NewRetroTom

I picked up a leaflet for the “rings of Breadalbane” yesterday and was interested to see that they have a 120 mile mountain bike route.

http://www.breadalbane.org/bike-trails

Has anyone done this? Any good?

I’ve cycled most of the bits that are on road, but not the off road bits.

NewRetroTom

I’ll take that as a no then!

AlasdairMc

I’ve ridden some of the trails but not all. I find it funny that they call the trails family friendly but insist on using the A82 and A85, which are anything but.

I’ve been looking at the disused railway that runs between Crianlarich and Killin – I’ve ridden part of it but wondering how far out it can be extended from Killin to make a nice offroad alternative and join up to the WHW.

scotroutes

TJ and Mrs TJ did some of that railway track a couple of years back. Might be worth a Facebook nudge…

kraftyslices

Haven’t seen that as a complete route before but having walked/cycled a few bits, it seems like a good idea.

Yet another one to add to the list then. But maybe next year…

A begrudging thanks then Tom..!

tomd
    Free Member

It looks a bit like some folk had a few beers in the pub and came up with a route linking together other long distance paths into a circle and gave it a name. It seems to be fashionable these days!

There are some nice (and not so nice) bits of riding there, I’ve done all of it on different rides and wouldn’t rush to do this loop. It’s not really a mtb loop.

matt_outandabout

Tomd – the ‘look at a map and string a route together’ crossed my mind as well.

There are a few hill names and road numbers wrong. They miss some proper trails and off main road options that a proper explore and local knowledge would tell you about. They hav gon for ‘perfect ring’ rather than food mtb ride, I think.

I know who is behind this, I think, and will get in touch….as ex Killin resident, I can suggest a similar but much more off road and interesting route.

The only iffy main road bit is Tyndrum/Crianlarich/Killin A82 and A84.

irc

irc

The track along the south side of Loch Lyon and then out to Auch farm is good. One river crossing which might be tricky after heavy rain.

matt_outandabout

I agree – but it’s some more track to avoid main road in Glen Dochart, use Glen Almond instead of the (lovely but road) to Loch Tay, Glen Lyin lower down uses a track with notorious mr_grumpy, when there is another option etc…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rings of Breadalbane cycling routes’ is closed to new replies.