Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rims – to eyelet or not eyelet – that is the question…
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Looking to build a set of CX disk wheels up. Apart from the classic Mavic Open Pros which are double eyeletted, most of the newer rims don’t seem to have any eyelets at all – Velocity A23 etc.

Any opinions on the subject? I’ll be ragging them though the winters and probably really don’t need ‘aero’ truth be told either.

Just need to find a Campagnolo freehubbed disk hub now that doesn’t entail selling both kidneys/my house/first born for too…

messiah
    Free Member
    Speshpaul

open pro’s or sports, or even A319’s

teasel
    Free Member

From what I gleaned a few weeks ago, aero rims have more material due to the v shape as opposed to something like the Open Pro, so don’t require the reinforcement from an eyelet. What actual difference this makes wasn’t easily discernible from the stuff I read.

JAG

Eyelets in rims are there to spread the load and reduce the stresses caused by the attachment of the spoke.

Eyeletted rims should last longer and be generally more durable – given the same wheel design, spoke count, operating conditions etc…

Aero is not really related to eyelets 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

Aero is not really related to eyelets

Like I wrote, from what I gather, there is more material on an aero shape so it doesn’t require the reinforcement an eyelet affords.

As an aside – are there any aero rims with eyelets available? I struggled to find any when browsing.

Northwind

Stans say,

“Single eyeleted rims serve primarily as a means to reduce the lubrication needed between the spoke nipple and rim interface for automated wheel building equipment. In the case of a hand built wheel where each nipple can be properly lubricated, single eyelets don’t present much of a benefit and actually require larger holes in the rim structure.”

But then they would say that 😉

All sorts of to-and-fro on this, any weight not in the eyelets gets to go somewhere else, so if you’re shopping for a 400g rim perhaps you’re more likely to get spoke-hole fatigue or to pull a spoke through the rim but on the other hand you’re probably less likely to dent it.

teasel
    Free Member

Stans say,

blah

But then they would say that

It’s not that I’m not as cynical as you when it comes to marketing spiel, but the LBS guy just built-up a set without eyelets and when I queried it he claimed something very similar. His advise was to steer clear of machine-made rims without eyelets.

I’m sure I even heard him mumbling something about Cyberdyne and Skynet, too…

Northwind

I think if I’d seen less Mavics cracked around the eyelets I might be more convinced as to the awesomeness of it all tbh. But my 719s developed a bunch of wee stress-fracture looking cracks all starting at the eyelets and I’ve seen stacks of 721s with the same.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It really doesn’t matter.

Like teasel said, if theres no eyelets the rim material will be thicker on the spoke bed.

specializedneeds

think if I’d seen less Mavics cracked around the eyelets I might be more convinced as to the awesomeness of it all tbh.

Exactly. I’ve had both 717s crack (at every eyelet) and an Arch with one spoke pulling through (hand built by reputable co.).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rims – to eyelet or not eyelet – that is the question…’ is closed to new replies.