Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Rims similar to a Mavic 719 but…..
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

……Cheaper!

Is there anything about that's a similar width and weight but, say, half the price?
    I'm not bothered about what make they are, as long as they are black.

🙂

poppa
    Free Member

Alex must do something?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Not sure how 'similar' they are to 719's but are these worth a look

superstar vapour

br
    Free Member

and presumably perform as well?

juan
    Free Member

Sadly peter I am afraid to say no 🙁
    When it come to rims I wouldn't par with quality. You could go a bit lighter with DT, but they are not as strong.
    Or you could go with spank (nice choice of colour) but they don't have double eyes on the spokes and they are more expensive (in France anyway).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You could go a bit lighter with DT

I specifically DON'T want to go lighter! 🙂

I want something similar to a 719. i.e. – a slightly wider, slightly beefier rim than the 717s I'm using right now. Just a bit cheaper.

As for 'performance', well, if it's round and I can fit a tyre to it, what else is there to say? Enough people say on here that build quality is most important, and I'll be building them myself. 8)

I put Sun S.O.S. rims on my Pitch, which are every bit as good as a DT Swiss 5.1, but half the price.

Sun don't seem to have a match to a 719 though, nor do Richey.

WTB Dual Duty look close, weight and price wise, but I can't find the width of them anywhere…….

I'll try Alex next. 🙂

lyons
    Free Member

Sun equalizers?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, the Equalizers look fine, but for that price I might as well get a 719. 🙂

Halo? Atomlab?

thomthumb
    Free Member

wtb widths are on the website here

alfabus
    Free Member

Mavic 319 ??

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You won't get anything lighter except for a stans rim, but they're not cheaper.

Not far from moon on a stick territory here.
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I DON'T WANT LIGHTER!!!!!!!

At no point did I say lighter, not anywhere, not at all, not even a suggestion. AND I've already said so above!

To quote myself –

a similar width and weight but, say, half the price?

READ THE EFFING QUESTION!!!

And rest. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

As for 'performance', well, if it's round and I can fit a tyre to it, what else is there to say?

IME Mavic rims are always v strong for the weight, cheaper brands may not be – so by economising you may be getting something that is not as strong as you need.

Can't see past mavic/stans myself, I'd be reluctant to try any other brands, given the time, effort and cost that a rebuild requires.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Tomthumb, thanks for that, It seems the WTBs might be about right, and only £26, so pretty cheap. Thankyou. 🙂

(I was looking at the USA website, which doesn't seem to have widths on it)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

DT Swiss 4.2d are lighter than Mavic 717. But that's not what Pete is interested in obviously.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can't see past mavic/stans myself, I'd be reluctant to try any other brands, given the time, effort and cost that a rebuild requires.

You should remove your 'bling goggles'! 😉

My SUN SOS rims are great for about £23 each. I came by a pair of wheels with them on very cheaply, so decided to use them, and I can't really fault them. I've pretty much always had Mavics before too, but now I can build my own wheels, the cost of trying new stuff is zilch!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough, but I've had bad experiences of Sun in the past.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sorry, misread the question.

Nice handbag moment there. 😉 (visions of PP in Widow Twanky costume)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Toys. Window. Gone. Sorry :mrgreen:

thomthumb
    Free Member

i've got a wtb 29er rim (might be a cross rim) it was very cheap and has a pinned joint.

not only can you feel the mass of the join when you spin it but it just build round at that point – onoly noticable on the jig rather than on the wheel though.

this is probably true of all pinned rims rather than wtb – i've only built a handful of wheels and this was the first pinned joint.

nickc

I'd say Alex, Quest, Quando. Any of those.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had the same dilemma last year. Went for Mavic 521's which IIRC are a fraction wider, a bit heavier and much less dosh. Still perfectly true after 9 months despite some incompetence driven rear wheel/water bar impacts

billysan
    Free Member

If you want a rim exactly like a 719, why not just buy a 719?! They are cheap as cheese as it is! I paid just over £20 for each of mine.

soma_rich
    Free Member

are Mavic 512's that much heavier I have one on an XT hub and was surprised how light it was…

sv

WTB Trail rims on my Pitch have worked well but bling googles mean the Flows are on their way 😉

wwaswas

"If you want a rim exactly like a 719, why not just buy a 719"

you'll get shouted at for not reading the question.

He wants something similar to a 719, but not exactly a 719…

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Where do you get a 719 for £20??? share please

Talkemada
    Free Member

I DON'T WANT LIGHTER!!!!!!!

There's no need to shout at people, is there? Scienceofficer may be a bit dozy, and may not have read the question properly, but they were only trying to be helpful, and all you can do is have a temper tantrum and shout at them. It's not very nice, is it?

I was going to suggest something, but you've been mean and nasty so I'm not going to. 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He wants something similar to a 719, but not exactly a 719…

No, I want something like a 719 but cheaper than £41 than CRC are charging> That's it. Price.
    If Billysan can tell me where I can get black 719s for £20 each, I'll be ripping their arms off to be honest!

So, Billysan, where are the £20 719s please?? 🙂

wwaswas

for £20/pair I'd be tempted too…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There's no need to shout at people, is there? Scienceofficer may be a bit dozy, and may not have read the question properly, but they were only trying to be helpful, and all you can do is have a temper tantrum and shout at them. It's not very nice, is it?

Lets call it 'exasperation' shall we? I get it when people can't read a simple question…..TWICE! Becasue then eveyone else latches onto an incorrect viewpoint and the origional question gets ignored
    😉 8)

Anyroadup, watter under brij, case closed 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well I think you should apologise to ScienceOfficer, and then have a good long hard think about your behaviour, and how you can improve it.

And I don't think you deserve any nice new rims at all, at least not until you can show us that your behaviour has improved.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bad Poddy. Wicked Poddy. Eeeeeevil Poddy. Poddy sorry. Poddy never do it again. Poddy be good now….
    🙁

wwaswas

PP firmly placed on the STW 'Thinking Step', there.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How long do I have to stay here? It's cold on this step. 😕

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well until you understand that your behaviour was unacceptable, and needs to change. ScienceOfficer could have been extremely upset by your nastiness.

I'll be monitoring your behaviour from now on. Make sure this doesn't happen again.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Talkemada
    Free Member

No use crying. You'll get no sympathy here. You've brought it upon yourself.

wwaswas

Talkemada is clearly struggling to cope with being out of the classroom during the long Easter break.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Rims similar to a Mavic 719 but…..’ is closed to new replies.