Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • rims for v-brake wheels. Upgrade from Mavic xm317 to xc717 or not?
  • hzururbe12
    Free Member

just bust another Mavic xm317 rim after a years use( may add I was used these rubbishy Gigapower brake pads at start so that wore them down quite a bit,usually put on Koolstop pads of course).Now that I need a new wheel I am thinking of upgrading to an Mavic XC717 rim and I wondering if this is worthwhile for me.Is the Maxtal rim material apart from being slightley lighter and stiffer also more hardwearing for brakewear?

seadog101

Not what you’re asking really, but I recently put a pair of Crossrides (an older flat bladed set) on a bike as an upgrade from some older Mavic rims. Although not much lighter than the previous wheels, they were a million times better in all respects. Stiffer, more responsive, and better at stopping.

You can get them off Ebay for about £100 or less for a 2nd hand set. mine are actually dual duty, ie V-brake and a disc hub.

hzururbe12
    Free Member

I am actually looking at a fairly lightweight custom wheel build with XT m770 hubs and DT Comp spokes and I am not sure if the Mavic XC717 rims wear better from braking.That is the only reason why I would upgrade.I have read somewhere that they do but just not sure.

asterix
    Free Member

I have XT m770 hubs, DT Comp spokes and Mavic XC717 rims for v brakes and they seem good. I was also worried about how log they would last because I was replacing some old mavic ceramic rims, but the 717s do seem OK and arnt wearing obviously too fast

hope that helps

qwerty
    Free Member

Not really much in it, the only notable upgrade would be to ceramic, but your wallet would probably have a right old tantrum.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘rims for v-brake wheels. Upgrade from Mavic xm317 to xc717 or not?’ is closed to new replies.