Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rims for my fixie.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Having just bought a nice fixie frameset I’m beginning to look at the wheels. The hubs are in the box (S. Archer) so the rims… Mavic Open Sport? I’d love the Pro’s but they’re dear. I am in Eire so no way anything can be had cheap here. I’ve found Stars rims, under 9 quid a pop, but know nowt bout them. What would you suggest? 700c and 32h.

shermer75
    Free Member

I ran some open sports for ages, very happy with them. Had some pros as well, the only difference seemed to be cosmetic as far as I could tell. They did look good though!

clubber
    Free Member

Halo aero track rims? I’ve used them and they decent and not too expensive. Plus available in colours which is important for a fixie 🙂

TiRed

I have Miche primato low flange, sapim laser front and race rear, with Open Pro. 32h About 1750g and lovely to ride on. I wrote off one rim in a very deep pothole, then hit another last night for the new rim 🙁 . That said I’d recommend them, not too heavry, not too stiff.

Most fixie wheels are very low quality, it was a revelation when I switched and have ridden 1000s of miles on these wheels.

Haze

Halo Aero Rage if you need a braking surface on the front.

brakes
    Free Member

I use 36h Open Sports on my fixed commuter. They’re proper bomb proof and are as true as the day they were built 3 years ago. Feel a bit dead with 36 spokes though.

tinribz
    Free Member

Another vote for Aerotrack, cheap, strong, look good, and surprisingly light. They will take a wider tyre too.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I like the idea of quality and cheapness loads. Open Spors seem a good choice as I got quoted something daft for the Halo rims. 32 or 36 holes? I have both sets of hubs.

1-shed
    Free Member

H & sons rims, look very nice Brick Lane Cycles sell them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Open sports work fine, I have them on my town/winter bike.

Unless you are heavy or using panniers, 32H will be fine.

Hairychested
    Free Member

1 Shed – I’m sure they are. It’s a bit far for me, though.

Cynic-al – thanks, that’s precisely what I needed.

Right, time to get the bits (behind my wife’s back, obviously) and get the beast ready.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rims for my fixie.’ is closed to new replies.