Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rims for 29er
  • seventyfive
    Free Member

In the process of building up a Salsa El Mariachi 2, and can’t decide on rims to get. I plan to do a short tour when/if we get some decent weather which will be a mixture of off and on road routes. I’ve already bought some XT hubs, although now wish I’d saved a bit and got some Novatecs instead but that’s another story. Anybody have some advice on suitable rims? I looked at Mavic XM319’s in LBS but didn’t like them much. Should I look at the TN series, possibly Stans or something else?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why didn’t you like them and what do you like?

amplebrew

The Velocity P35’s (now called Blunt 35) on my Jones have been great and I’ve also got a pair of Arch EX’s on another bike which have also been faultless.

I must admit to being a fan of the wider rims now after running the P35’s. I have got a pair of Duallys on the way which I’ve also got high hopes for.

takisawa2

TN719’s here. Very happy with them, but will be changing to the Velocity P35’s when I build a new set, so I can run a 3″ Knard on the front & a nicely filled out 2.35″ Ralph on the back.

seventyfive
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice and links, much appreciate that. I hadn’t given Velocity’s a thought before, but I like the old skool design of them so will scout around a bit. I’ve also looked at the Arch EX’s and they’re in my top 3 of rims so far, although I’m unsure if I should opt for the Flow…I’ll have to read up a bit to find what’s the more suitable as I’m quite big – 6ft 3″ and about 15st, although I won’t be abusing them so they’ll have a good life.
    I’ve also been looking at the TN719’s, although after seeing the finish of the XM319 in my LBS its slightly put me off Mavic rims….hopefully the quality improves with higher end ones.
    I’ve now got lots to go on before taking the plunge later this week so cheers again.
    Oh and CA, thanks for keeping in real 😉

amplebrew

That’s cool 8)

takisawa2

Re: the Mavic rims…yes, I’d agree.
    I bought a TN319 to build a spare geared wheel & I’ll be honest & say I couldn’t tell the difference.

Sam

Another vote for P35s as a good solid all-round rim at a reasonable price.

Personally I’d much rather have XT hubs than Novatec – especially if you want something solid and reliable rather than lightweight

frood
    Free Member

I built up a set of superstar’s sentinel 29er rims onto Hope Pro 2s… very happy with them. 21mm internal width, so not as wide as the P35’s but they’ve been running true and undented since september on the local trails in the scottish borders. (I destroyed a set of what a lot of reviewers called “bombproof” bontrager mustang rims before going to these)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rims for 29er’ is closed to new replies.