Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rims apparently not tubeless – will I die?
  • fangin
    Free Member

After being a tubeless refusenik, I’m experimenting to embrace other cultures and diversity – or perhaps I’ve run out of things to fettle on my current bikes and need something new to do, whatever.

But the rims that I’d like to convert are nice Salsa Delgado 29er rims and have a teensy warning on them “Do not use with tubeless systems. This rim is designed for use with a tire and tube”.

Um, so, given that I have no idea what I’m doing yet, is this just a safety warning that can safely be ignored – or is there likely some specific reason that some rims can’t be converted to tubeless?

oink1
    Free Member

Im guessing thats a ‘not designed to run tubeless without a faff, so don’t come whinging to us’ type of warning. I doubt death would be imminent 😀

Sandwich

That’s a ‘You will throw your toys from the pram if you try it’ warning.

submarined
    Free Member

My vote is for pinned joint.

fangin
    Free Member

Ah, faff and throwing my toys from the pram is all part of the attraction 🙄

Okay, I’m game. The joint pinning wasn’t so bad last time around.

scotroutes

Most rims have pinned joints and go up tubeless just fine.

Fit a Joe’s Tubeless kit and it should work fine…..
    ….maybe.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I have a very old Salsa Delgado CX rim and it is about as unsuited to tubeless as one can imagine. There is no tyre bead seating shelf whatsoever, just a deep semicircular well running from side to side internally. A tubeless rim strip would’nt help with that design – but your’s may be different.

cokie

Or go ‘ghetto’ tubeless? I’ve done that on a few none tubeless wheels without issues.

scotroutes

The Joe’s kit is basically a ghetto tubeless setup using rubber rim strips.

fangin
    Free Member

Greyspoke this looks about right for mine too. Hmm.

Though I thought I’d be doing ghetto/bodge tubeless regardless. But embossed on my memory is _that_ picture of The Badger, his tyre and his facial expression. Don’t particularly want to recreate that.

stevextc
    Free Member

After being a tubeless refusenik

It might work fine …. then again …

90% of bad experience in tubeless is when the damned thing doesn’t work first try. (IMHO)

I’d think most people who have ridden tubeless would put in quite a bit of effort but if you haven’t then you start questioning if its worth it on a poor rim/tyre choice.

I personally prefer riding cheapish wheels tubeless than expensive wheels with tubes… just based on “feel” (before punctures even come into it).

If I did have some rims that definitely wouldn’t work (after trying) I’d definitely change rims or wheels (depending on the wheel)

sillyoldman

Just looked at the rim section – as above, probably couldn’t have a less suitable profile for tubeless. May well be able to get it set up, but unless running crazy high pressures it will burp easily – could feasibly dump all pressure when you least want it…. I wouldn’t risk it.

ocrider

The Joe’s kit is basically a ghetto tubeless setup using rubber rim strips.

+1
    Pay a premium for neatly cut edges, or make your own Joe’s kit using two inner tubes

shermer75
    Free Member

As above looking at the rim profile there’s not much of a ‘shelf’ for the bead to pop up onto, which could make it very tricky. I had this problem with Sun Ringlé ‘Inferno’ rims- I could get them inflated, but the seal between the tyre bead and the rim side wall would break very easily.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rims apparently not tubeless – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.