Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • RIM/Blackberry?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Handing info to the fuzz.
    Good or bad?
    I’m not sure I’d want to own another Blackberry if they fold so easily and offer what is essentially private information to the police.

tron
    Free Member

I think it’s fairly safe to assume that anything you transmit en clair (ie, say or text) over the phone could be accessed by the Government if they were so inclined.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Even when you know it is being used for criminal activities???

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    donsimon
    Free Member

I know for a fact that all mobile message both voice and text can be accessed, that’s not my point.
    My point is RIM are offering the info without following the legal channels that a court order would satisfy, a court order the police would need to access this info, and secondly will this be a marketing disaster for them?

lazybike
    Free Member

can you imagine how many messages the police will have to look at, my kids bbm constantly, every other message at the moment is a new riot location… 🙄

Klunk
    Free Member

can I interest you in an encryption app ?

Philby

They might even come across some dodgy deals done by the bankers and businessmen who seem to be perpetually on their Crackberries.

emsz
    Free Member

Just like Saudi Arabia?

Well known beacon of tolerance…

God, I’m hanging about with uni students too much these days…

ivantate
    Free Member

I never knew bbm existed.

I assume everything i write or send can be accessed so it wouldnt worry me at all. actually quite tempted by a blackberry for my next phone.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The police cannot get all the data in one go they need to apply for it on a person by person basis giving their reasons for each one. A bit like getting a search warrant but for data.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sweet Jesus, I’ve not got time to read all those. I had a quick skim read though and it looks like they are doing it by the books.

Since riots escalated yesterday evening, RIM has said that it plans to co-operate with authorities, but that it must continue to operate under UK data protection laws and regulation.

It goes on to say that the Police could take the data of who sent a message and who received it within a given geographic area but not the content of the message. Which is currently within the law as it stands.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Legal obligation as well, if info on their system has been used to promote/facilitate crime, I believe they have to provide such information. Doing so without being asked (volunteering it) is obviously the correct corporate decision.

MisterT

Police can use forensic search spider software that searches for key words and then is used to identify potential targets (people) for accessing their BBM records.

all they have to do is turn up at the RIM data hosting offices and with a suitable warrant they can demand entry to the computer servers and upload their forensic search routines. this will produce a list of targets, which they will then verify with RIM and a legal team as being suitably relevant based on the search criteria they used.

once they have an approved list of targets signed off by the legal team, they can demand all the data from those targets and once they have it, they then scan the data for each target and highlight those they want to take formal copies of the records. so long as the legal team approve the fact there is enough evidence to warrant the use of the information, then this is copied and is admissible evidence.

if the legal team don’t accept the justification for use of any targets data, then it’s not admissible and thus not copied.

it’s not a quick process, but is very useful for gathering data for further investigation.

grantway
    Free Member

is it good or bad. What the furk Just look at what has been going on.
    Just what do you think! Oh yeah your asking us ?

donsimon
    Free Member

is it good or bad. What the furk Just look at what has been going on.
    Just what do you think! Oh yeah your asking us ?

What are you trying to say grantway?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘RIM/Blackberry?’ is closed to new replies.