Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rim Width – WWSTWD?
  • Daffy

New (to me) bike. Long travel 29er. Torn between a lightweight 24mm internal width carbon rim, and a more substantial 30mm width internal.

Which would you go for?

M

km79
    Free Member

30mm

nedrapier

def 30mm. Big tyres will work better, and smaller tyres will still work fine. if you wanted lighter wheels for massive rides, just whack some some lighter/slicker rubber on there. eg, Minions to Thunder Burts will probably give you more difference in weight than the rims, and the tread will make more difference to efficiency than the weight.

Yetiman
    Free Member

For a long travel 29er definitely the wider rims. 2.3 – 2.5 tyres are better supported and more stable at lower pressures. I’ve been running 30mm internal carbon rims for the past 2 1/2 years on my 150mm 29er and I don’t think I would want anything narrower now.

Northwind

30mm here too. (it’s what I have) Gives tyres more volume. Not everyone agrees this is worthwhile

(it’ll also often give bad tyres a better shape. But the solution for that is good tyres)

hatter

Have nice light 24 mm rims on my 29er hardball and the tougher 30 mm alloy jobbies on the full bouncer.

Anything long travel I’d definitely go 30 mm.expecially the way developments in tyre casings are going. Give it a few years and 30 will be the new ‘normal’ anyway.

edhornby

Check what will fit in the frame, the 25mm internal with smorgasbord only just go into my niner EMD

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My 30mm internal Carbon rims have just arrived for my Hightower build.
    Looked at 25mm but been running 30mm on my 650b 160mm bike and love them

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rim Width – WWSTWD?’ is closed to new replies.