Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rim Width – what's fashionable these days?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

As above, for years I ran Mavic EN521 rims on a couple of 160mm travel 26″ bikes and I liked them, tough and reliable and didn’t weigh a huge amount – I prefer reliable over super fancy.

They don’t make them in 650b, but I tend to “go with what I know” so been looking at EN421 or EN423 – mostly the same it seems bar the width 21mm v 23mm.

Is it down to personal choice? I know the fashion of late is to go wider, but are the 23mm ones meant for plus bikes or something?

Currently running a 2.3 Minion DHF on the front and a 2.2 Ardent on the rear, bike is a Tracer 275a, goes everywhere from the shops to the Alps with me, and I’m a heavy cack-handed rider so like ’em tough.

EN421 or EN423, they’ll be a Superstar ‘custom’ build as I’m poor, no ENVE carbon jobs or fancy shop built custom jobs for me – the kids rob me blind.

chakaping
    Free Member

23mm internal is now on the narrow side as far as fashion goes.

I’m a happy Mavic customer though, so that’s what I’m currently riding – and I’m doing fine.

Probably worth going for the 423 over the 421 if buying new.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Thanks, 423 it is then.

stevied
    Free Member

I think Mavic are still a bit behind when it comes to new rims. If you want something lighter and wider have a look at DT’s newer offerings. The EX471 is fantastic. 25mm internal and under 500g’s for a 27.5″ rim (bit more expensive than the Mavics though)
    The EN’s are pinned too so not as strong as a welded joint IME

SirHC

Last years Mens EWS and DH WC were both won on 25mm internal width rims, womens EWS 28mm and womens DH WC 27mm.

So amongst the fastest people its around 25mm.

I have a pair of stan’s arches and a pair of ex471’s. Tyre profile is slightly squarer on the wider rim and to find the same feel I have to run slightly lower pressures. Wider rims are less prone to burping in my experience.

rickmeister

90mm Carbon on the Fatbike..

balfa
    Free Member

If your using superstar I’d consider their own brand ‘T-READY DS25 or DS23’. I just replaced a stans flow with a DS25. Seems better quality than the flow rim. A little harder to tubeless but I haven’t managed to burp it yet. Seems pretty sturdy and significantly lighter than the mavics.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah those Superstar DS25 rims are really good for the money, I have a couple of pairs on the Tech 4 wheelsets.

P-Jay
    Free Member

balfa – Member

If your using superstar I’d consider their own brand ‘T-READY DS25 or DS23’. I just replaced a stans flow with a DS25. Seems better quality than the flow rim. A little harder to tubeless but I haven’t managed to burp it yet. Seems pretty sturdy and significantly lighter than the mavics.

Will do – do you know if the rims are stickered or otherwise permanently branded? Before I look, I kinda know they’re going to be anno purple with massive garish stickers or the like.

Don’t care about tubeless – don’t everyone gasp as once, but I actually like the simplicity of tubes… (hangs head in shame).

balfa
    Free Member

Will do – do you know if the rims are stickered or otherwise permanently branded? Before I look, I kinda know they’re going to be anno purple with massive garish stickers or the like.

I’ve got them in black and removed the stickers.

plyphon
    Free Member

Man. I’ve only just got round to getting en321’s on my 26″ bike, they’re a luxury for myself!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

70/80mm rims, although some claim 100mm are hip and trendy. 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I went for some Ryde Enduros with a 29mm internal width. They’re pretty light and have stayed true over the winter (albeit just ridden locally) so am happy so far. I know they are on the lighter side of bombproof, but local riding is far more woods and roots based so it’s a bridge I’ll cross should there be a problem.

They were discussed in greater detail here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ryde-trace-25-trail-and-trace-29-enduro-rims-any-real-world-experience

bigjim

I wouldn’t even be seen getting out of the Audi with rims less than 30mm internal.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Why not do it in style and go “50”

Shows the others you’re up for a bit of a challenge and fun malarky in the twisties

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I wouldn’t even be seen getting out of the Audi with rims less than 30mm internal.

😆

epicyclo

My new rims, 132mm wide.

But seeing as I have them, likely to be deeply unfashionable…

And yes, they’re going on a bike. 🙂

sillyoldman

That’s a mighty low spoke count!

😉

epicyclo

If you want an estimate of how big your tyre will be on a given rim, here’s a handy calculator.

The Complete Circular Arc Calculator

The measurements I use are the bead to bead dimension of the tyre when it is flattened out.

Deduct the 2x height of the rim walls from this measurement, and that gives you the length of the arc.

For the rim measurement use the distance between the beadhooks, that’s the width of the arc.

On a fat tyre the calculation comes pretty close to a measured casing with at 10psi. Certainly close enough to get an idea if it will fit in a given space.

With some of the new ultrafat tyres that should give me a 6″ tyre on my 132mm rim. 🙂

Edit: I’m going to make a separate thread for this calculator because it will be easier to find.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rim Width – what's fashionable these days?’ is closed to new replies.