Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rim width & tyres
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I've gone from DT 5.1d's to Stans 355's, but still using the Nobby Nic 2.25" tyres, front and rear.

I've noticed the tyres seem to have a rounder profile and are wider, is this normal or am I just being daft?

mboy
    Free Member

It's only when you get to the extremes of tyre/rim combo's (ie. a 2.5" tyre on a Mavic 717, or a 1.5" slick on a Mavic 729) that you really need to worry.

2.25" Nobby Nic is going to be fine on pretty much any MTB rim you can buy I'd suggest. It will have a rounder profile on some, and a squarer on others…

steve_b77
    Free Member

They certainly appear to have a much rounder and therefor wider profile on my Stans.

might need to drop to a 2.1 on the back 😯

wwaswas

they will be wider as their volume is the same but the width at teh bottom is smaller – the extra is taken up by the sides 'billowing' out a bit more.

I run 2.25 NN on Mavic 717's and you do have to keep the pressure up a bit to stop them rolling on the rim.

fivespot
    Free Member

Had 2.25 Racing Ralphs on 5.1's, then tried them on 4.2's, more skitish in corners.

uplink
    Free Member

They'll be fine – I have a 2.35 HR on one of mine & run a pair of 2.25 NNs on Mavic 719s

steve_b77
    Free Member

The tyre fitting the rim is not the issue – maybe I should've explained that – it's the fact that my bike isn't overly generous on rear tyre clearance.

So 2.1" Rocket Ron it is then

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rim width & tyres’ is closed to new replies.