Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rim tape needed on LB AM carbon rims when running tubes?
  • mattyfez

Looking at the picks they look smooth so it seems you may not need to, can anyone confirm?

Thanks

jairaj

If the rim bed is smooth and does not have spoke holes then you don’t need rim tape.

edit – sorry just read you post again. You don’t have the rims yet and want to know in advance if you need rim tape. The rims my mate has have spoke holes in the rim bed so yes you will need some rim tape to prevent punctures.

mattyfez

ok thanks, yeh looking at more pics online it looks like tape will be needed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattyfez

Picked up some velox rim tape, the fabric/adhesive kind.

Does anybody know (humor me and my OCD), to save a tiny bit of weight, is it possible to cut it into strips so your just covering the holes? I was thinking I could use 40‰ to 60 percent less tape as opposed to running a continuous length around the rim?

Thanks

jamj1974

Not worth it!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You can pick out every second strand of thread from the tape and save 50%, equal to around 2.14 grams per wheel. Utterly essential race tech.

mattyfez

Ok, care to elaborate? I was thinking using strips four or five times longer than the holes, with it being adhesive I figured why not?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Do you work?

dovebiker

If you want to be a weight-weenie, why not go tubeless?

mattyfez

Maybe tubless in future, but we are a bit off topic, is there any reason you can’t use smaller strips instead of a full loop, I’ll probably do it anyway as it’s cheap enough to buy more tape if it doesn’t work out, I was just wondering if anyone has any insight /experience. Thanks.

Glasgow Dan – of course not, the dole pays so much these days, I can afford carbon rims and hope hubs.. Lay off the buckfast! 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yes you do,

however, is it that hard to run a length of stars tape, fit a valve and chuck in some fluid?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Does anybody know (humor me and my OCD), to save a tiny bit of weight, is it possible to cut it into strips so your just covering the holes? I was thinking I could use 40‰ to 60 percent less tape as opposed to running a continuous length around the rim?

https://veloplug.com

schmiken

Veloplugs.

singlespeedstu

Do those Veloplugs work for tubeless?

mattyfez

Yeah I was looking at the plugs, they seem like a good option.. Thing is my wheels arrive tomorrow and I can’t seem to buy them locally so will have to buy from Amazon.. And of course I want to get right out and ride..

I think I’ll use the tape for now, and get some velo plugs which I’ll fit next time I need to pull the tyre off.

mattyfez

Good point, do they work tubeless? Not that I do currently but I’d like a fit and forget solution, and would like to have the tubeless option available. I’m guessing you may need to glue them to the rim as they appear to be like pop rivets?

TrevorB

“Good point, do they work tubeless? Not that I do currently but I’d like a fit and forget solution, and would like to have the tubeless option available.”

Then the obvious answer is to Use Stans tape (other brands are available) then you are coverd for all eventualities (and its lighter than Velox tape) win win.

mattyfez

Is stans tape lighter? I looked at a chart on weight weenie and it came up heavier than the velo, although it didn’t specify which particular model of either was tested.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rim tape needed on LB AM carbon rims when running tubes?’ is closed to new replies.