• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by RRD.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rim Tape – Do you need it?
  • RRD
    Free Member

Got some new wheels. Hope hubs mavic 719. They came with no tape.

My question is do I really need rim tape?

I'm guessing they are now left bare in case people run tubeless.

theboatman
    Free Member

I'm guessing someone invented rim tape for a reason 😉 . If you aren't palnning a tubless venture, mail us your address and I'll pop you a couple of pedros rim tapes in the post.

falkirk-mark

Or if you are going out in the morning use electrical tape round it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

I'm guessing they're left bare so some people can sell you rim tape. Really, pro's use rim tape. It's there to stop your tubes popping and it costs a couple of quid per roll.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Ive never used rim tape, just 3 layers of sparkys tape.

petefromearth

definately don't use electrical tape if you're running high pressure. i made this mistake as a cycling newbie and it took a few mystery blowouts before i figured it out!

however one great thing about about electrical tape is you can colour coordinate with your frame / helmet / socks! 🙂

singletrackhor
    Free Member

lol at colour coordinatation 🙂

what tape would anyone recommend, if the local stationarys/hardware store is nearer than the lbs?

messiah
    Free Member

17 years of electrical tape here, works a treat.

aP
    Free Member

Velox

mrmo
    Free Member

I use electrical tape on the roadbike, a couple of layers seems to cope with 150psi…

pinches
    Free Member

always used electrical tape and it's been fine, normally 2 full wraps per rim works. I use the same wheels with both MTB tyres and slicks at the moment upto 80PSI no problems.

jonb
    Free Member

You do need rim tape, the holes in the rim have sharp burrs which will shred an innertube in seconds (or just cause a blowout).

Electrical tape works but I'd recommend velox cloth tape unless you're in a hurry. It's only a couple of quid from wiggle.

RRD
    Free Member

Thanks all for the responses. I suspected electrical tape would be good enough. Like the colour coord idea!

Boatman thanks for the offer but I'll pop into the PBS and buy some this am.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rim Tape – Do you need it?’ is closed to new replies.