Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rim tape
  • cromega1991
    Free Member

I’ve just received a couple of new rims courtesy of Trek.

Initially at least I’m just going to run standard tyres on them, but might look to go tubeless later on.

The questions is do I need to put rim tape on them?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Standard or “tubeless” tyres, most will work tubeless anyway with the right rims and sealant. A lot of standard tyres now are tubeless ready anyway also.

Anyway, it will have some kind of rim tape, but depends if it’s tubeless rim tape. The difference is it simply seals the spoke holes. I don’t know about Trek rims.

If it doesn’t, Trek probably have special tubeless tape, or you can get Stans tape, or just use heavy duty tape. Gorilla or any similar brand or unbranded from B&Q or wherever will do.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Gorilla-Tape-Tubeless-Conversion.html

jaylittle
    Free Member

Do you know if the wheels came tubeless ready? If so they should have the correct tape already applied.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I use electrical tape – cheap & cheerful 🙂

cromega1991
    Free Member

The wheels are tubeless ready, well it says on the side anyway.

domtrax

Are they Bontrager rims, and if so what type? Bontrager recommend using their own TLR rim strips. I’ve recently used some, and stretched them onto the rims straight over the original rim tape. Next time I’ll probably just get some Gorilla tape, cheaper and probably just as effective.

cromega1991
    Free Member

The rims are Bontrager Mustang Elite with no take whatsoever on them at the moment.

Sounds like I need to fit some.

simondbarnes

Are there holes in the rim bed where the spokes go? If there are, you need tape. If there aren’t then you don’t.

cromega1991
    Free Member

Yep it’s got holes, will buy some tape then cheers

deadkenny
    Free Member

If there aren’t then you don’t.

Well, none tubeless set ups still usually have rim tape, just it’s a loose tape as doesn’t need to seal air. There to protect the tube from the spoke holes / ends.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rim tape’ is closed to new replies.