Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rim swap ERD – any wheelbuilders in da house?
  • wavy27

Anyone know if an ERD of 1mm different between two rims is enough to need different length spokes? Swapping a buckled Stans ZTR Crest rim (605mm) for a WTB i21 (604mm) both 700c. ERD = Effective Rim Diameter, I think.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.

scotroutes

Remember, that’s only 0.5mm difference in spoke length*. I’d crack on.

* as near as makes no difdifference

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vincienup
    Free Member

In theory, yes you should recalculate but unless you were right on the edge of unsuitable spoke lengths previously then as above that’s not going to make much difference and you’ll be (probably) fine. Remember that apart from rounding the calculated spoke lengths you’re also going to be restricted by actually available lengths.

wavy27

Excellent! Thanks for your replies. Sounds like we should be OK

teamslug
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. I’m swapping some with 2mm difference over the weekend. Don’t think i’ll die.

Junkyard
    Free Member

absolutely fine – you wont even notice [ and spokes only come in 2 mm increments so its probably still the same size]

kerley
    Free Member

I’m swapping some with 2mm difference over the weekend. Don’t think i’ll die.

Probably not but 2mm is starting to push it a bit. Especially if the original rim was close to being too long or short to start with.

wwaswas

at 2mm I’d switch from 12mm nipples to 14mm if the existing wheel was built with the former.

thomthumb
    Free Member

measured or nominal?

Always worth a measure. biggest deviation i’ve measured from manufacturer is 4mm: enough to change your spoke length!

Bez

at 2mm I’d switch from 12mm nipples to 14mm if the existing wheel was built with the former.

Surely that rather depends on whether you’re looking at 2mm larger or smaller 😉

wwaswas

well, quite 😳

Rorschach
    Free Member

Counter intuitively using 14mm nipples (instead of 12mm) doesn’t mean you use 2mm shorter spokes.

Bez

No, but the threads start about 1mm further from the spoke bed so you should have the same thread engagement if you move a spoke from a 12mm nipple to another rim with a 2mm greater ERD and a 14mm nipple.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

14 and 12mm have the same thread dimensions, at least for Sapim spokes, so they wouldn’t make a difference. 16mm have 2mm more thread.

For the op’s wheel it should be fine. The telltale is how far through the current nipples the spokes are. If they’re flush or under the top of the heads, they should be fine. If they’re protruding at all then they could bind towards the end. I’ve got some round 1mm nipple washers which cure that. Pm me if you need some.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rim swap ERD – any wheelbuilders in da house?’ is closed to new replies.