Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rim painting
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Anyone had any luck doing this ? And anyone know where you can get replacement Spank rim decals ? Thanks .

RustyMac

Not sure if serious ❓ ❗ ❓

Presuming you are planning on taking the wheel apart to paint? Why not just buy a new rim in the colour you want?

wwaswas

Dulux and a gloss roller?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Ha I know it’s an odd question , but the rims are in excellent condition and are expensive Spank Subrosa in brown and i need black to suit my new frame , and if I sell them and buy again I’m sure to loose quite a lot of money , so was mulling this over in my head as a solution .

convert

Now that has to be a euphemism!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Usual principles apply…paint may look ok but won’t be durable.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of pairs of rims powder coated and it worked fine.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I guess with the durability aspect powder coating would be an option , thanks I hadn’t thought of that route .

avdave2

Might be easier to paint the frame to match the wheels. And just think of all that extra rotational weight!

wwaswas

strip and polish the rims might be easier.

Speshpaul

the issue is getting a hard enough coating on the rim that will with stand some abuse. paint isn’t really the right product. It will chip and the old finish will show through, if they have been anodized then paint will not key tp the surface well. Any flex (and wheels need to flex) would crack the paint.

So powder coat is the best option for a refinish, prices will vary, Coats tend to do big batchs of one colour, so if you like the colour he is doing that day just getting the rims done might be dirt cheap (beer money) but if you want ocean otter purple then its going to cost and take time.
    you’ll need to factor in the costs of wheel builds, the eyelets in the rims will also get coated aswell.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Yes I will look into the powder coating process as I want them done correctly . Thanks guys.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Could the paint baking process weaken the rims?

wwaswas

I want them done correctly

I’d just bite the bullet and get new rims that are already anodized in the colour you want. Powder coat will be heavier, too.

BruceWee

Not a single innuendo? You guys are slipping.

Is it pink but you want it brown?

njee20
    Free Member

What about Steve the anodising bloke?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I had a mavic cross ride wheel (black) which had rim braking surface (silver) on it. Given both my bikes are disc only, I masked the rest of the wheel off and sprayed the braking surface black. Looks ok and you cant really tell unless you look very close.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rim painting’ is closed to new replies.