Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rim ideas for Transition Scout
  • prezet
    Free Member

About the pull the trigger on a Scout. But will need to get my current wheels built up with new rims. I’ve got some options but struggling to decide. In the past I’ve always gone for burly rims, but I’m not exactly a hard rider, or very heavy… so thinking something a bit more sensible this time. However they still need to withstand the odd Aston, BPW and FoD days for the DH’s.

Options so far:
    Flow Ex
    Hope Tech Enduro
    DT Swiss EX471
    DT Swiss XM481 (no stock until December – but these are nice and wide)

I think I’m leaning towards the XM481, but not sure I want to wait till December. So maybe the EX471?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

sorry, doesn’t answer your question but what fork have you gone for?

woodster

All of those would be a decent choice (aside from the 481 which is a bit of an unknown), I’d probably go for the 471s.

How about the Spank oozy 295s?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jairaj

I can highly recommend Spank Oozy rims. I have the full wheelset built withthe first generation Ozzy rims. It is nice and stiff, comes in at a decent weight and seems to cope with a bit of battering.

I weight 90kg and have the wheelset on my Bandit. Gets used for everything from Woburn XC to bike park, rocky days out in Wales and Peak district and even the occasional DH day at Aston hill.

Its coped fine with all of them apart from once on Cavedale descent where I picked up a dent in the rear. Straightened it out with a spanner and its still going fine a year later.

prezet
    Free Member

sorry, doesn’t answer your question but what fork have you gone for?

Going for Pikes. Debated about getting the Boost version of the Pikes for future proof. But decided against it.

Northwind

Check out the WTB options, Frequency and KOM.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have the standard build 1 Scout from earlier this year.

It has WTB i23 frequency. Both front and rear have a wobble in and need straightening.
    According to the WTB site, the KOM are not as strong, more intended for weight weenies.

Northwind

The KOM’s intended for up to #enduro, the Frequency’s heavier duty but that doesn’t make the KOM weak, Frequency is as tough as old boots… (a wobble is probably the build rather than the rim, unless I’m misunderstanding?)

manmurray

Not a Scout, but have just had some Easton Arc 30s built up for my Spitfire. Had narrowed it down to these or the EX471s. So far have had a weekend of my un-finessed riding at Afan plus a few local outings, and I like a lot. Nice and wide, not too heavy, look good 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ok, I didn’t read on their web site as I cannot find it now. I definitely read somewhere from a WTB employee saying the Frequency was a better option for real world use, where the KOM’s are not as strong.
    I cannot find it now, maybe I dreamt it.

I did have a little off which put the front rim out of true. The rear is also out of true just from use I believe.
    There were straight when new.

Not intending to destroy the brand here, just adding my experiences.

I will get the frequency’s trued and continue to use them. There are a good weight and look good once the stickers are removed. Only time and riding will tell if they are strong enough for a fat lad with bad line choice.

EDIT: I do have one eye on the Easton Arc 27’s if these do fold on me.

fathomer

I had my eye on EX471’s for whatever new frame I end up with but the XM481 might be the way to go.

On a slight tangent, how about an XM481 for the front and EX471 rear for the extra strength?

swanny853

I’ll second WTB. Frequencies are tough as anything. Haven’t tried the KOMs yet.

For the OHs bike I built a freq i23 wheel for the rear as she seems to have started denting things going to Antur and BPW, not to mention anywhere there’s water bars. At some point I’ll probably build her a KOM i25 for the front for a bit more width without too much weight.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’ve had my Scout for a couple of months now, I went for Superstar Tactic Rims which are about 420g, it hasn’t gone out of true yet but at the rear have got quite a few dents. Going to ride it until it dies and crash replace with the 500g T-Ready EX 23. I’m 75kg with gear.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Last two rims I’ve bought were the EX471, from Germany. It was a toss up between those and the Flow EXs for me. But then I didn’t know much about the Frequencies so maybe they would be on the shortlist too.

bigjim

KOMs are good. Don’t think they are any more ding resistant than stan’s but they are pretty decent weight. I got mine from pedals in Edinburgh.

stevied
    Free Member

KOM’s here too, i25’s. Seem good so far built on 350’s and Revolution spokes (I’m 14.5st).
    Run nice and smooth, taken a bit of rough stuff @ Staunton and some fast, rocky stuff on the Malvern’s no problem.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rim ideas for Transition Scout’ is closed to new replies.